Robberfly eats Wasp

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Erland R.N.

Robberfly eats Wasp

Post by Erland R.N. »

A long time since I posted here, and I haven't even got anything new to show. Here a photo though from June 2009, Xalapa in Mexico:

Canon 5D, Sigma 150 + 1.4
f/10m, 1/200 s, iso 1600

Read about my dragonfly trip to Mexico here:

http://home1.stofanet.dk/erland_refling ... ico_uk.htm

cheers
Erland

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Erland,

That is a nice shot of a Promachus robber fly (probably P. bellardii); great lighting & color! I very much enjoyed the photos of your Mexico trip (one of my favorite places!). Interestingly, your 'dragonfly friend' Rosser Garrison is also my friend and former colleague; I'm recently retired from the Calif. Dept. Food & Agric. -- where Rosser still works.

Cheers,

Eric

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Eric, thank you very much for the species (genus) ID.
This was the first time i met Rosser, he is very friendly and an authority on Neotropical Odonata. It was a great experience to visit Mexico, and although I've seen a few of the species before in Texas, most I saw was all new to me.
Rosser has done a book on all American dragonflies, dealing with each genus (I got that book during the visit), and he expect to have one similar ready this year about the Damselflies.

Erland

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Erland, welcome back! I enjoyed your travelogue also. Great fun to read about the traveling and eating and visiting, as well as seeing the pictures. Many thanks!

--Rik

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

Impressive against such a strong wasp.
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

tpe

Post by tpe »

facinating picture. og welcome back. i am looking forward to seeing some new pics from dk

tim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You've got to love the colors in this! :o Looks more like a "Tango," than dinner for one. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic