Lense starvation

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tony.poole

Lense starvation

Post by tony.poole »

Hi,
I'm very new to microscopy and have recently bought a Baker microscope with objectives 10X and 40X. Could anybody advise me as to where I could look to purchace a low power objective and a 20X

Thank you.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Ebay is still a reliable source of reasonably priced 'everyday' objectives. Look for example for Beck, Watson, Vickers and GS. These will be reasonable quality, comparable with what you already have on your Baker and will often go for £20 or less. If you are in the UK you can send me a personal message and I will try to help further.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

tony.poole

Post by tony.poole »

Thanks Dave,
I take it from your post that the other makes will fit my Baker.
Off to ebay now and thanks again.
Tony.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

If the objectives unscrew, they are almost certain to be standard RMS ('Royal Microscopical Society') thread which many objectives will fit. Mixing different manufacturer's eye pieces and objectives can cause problems of colour fringing (chromatic aberration) round the edges of specimens, but I doubt that will be too much of a problem to you if you stick to basic objectives of similar vintage to your microscope. It would be helpful to know what Baker model you have, is it monocular or binocular? Would it be possible to post a photo?
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic