Small ichneumon wasp

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Small ichneumon wasp

Post by Charles Krebs »

This is a small ichneumon wasp and I decided to go with really "tight", almost abstract image to show off the nice emerald colored eye.

Olympus BHA, Nikon M Plan 40/0.40 SLWD, Canon 50D.

morfa

Post by morfa »

Fantastic image Charles! Excellent lighting and I really like this framing – very effective!

I'm blown away with the high magnification shots I see on this forum. I'm spending hours just browsing around, staring at these stunning images.

/John

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

It was the right decision. Superb colours.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

Woa that is the kind of detail I want to get on macro subjects. Have you used this setup: http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/index.html ?

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

Amazing image.
Details please.

Rogelio

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks for the kind comments.

This was taken with a Nikon 40/0.40 SLWD objective. The image was projected directly onto the camera sensor of the Canon 50D. Normally I will use this optic on a camera bellows, but I had wanted to try and see how the "live view, silent mode" (with the electronic first shutter curtain) would do mounted directly to a microscope. In this case the microscope was an Olympus BHA (not pictured on my site), but the viewing head was removed and the camera mounted in it's place, with about 210mm between the objective and the camera sensor. So, in essence, the microscope simply functioned as an "extension tube" (no other optics involved) with a really nice "stage" attached for obtaining the "z" stack.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles Krebs wrote: So, in essence, the microscope simply functioned as an "extension tube" (no other optics involved) with a really nice "stage" attached for obtaining the "z" stack.
Charles,

The nice "stage" is the standard Olympus BHA stage or it is a motorized stage?

Rogelio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic