Some new equipment :) glass table mats

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

Some new equipment :) glass table mats

Post by LordV »

Bought the wife some new table mats. For reasons I'm not sure about it's very hard to get melamine surfaced table mats nowdays but whilst out doing some Christmas shopping I saw some glass table mats and my brain light came on :)- What a great surface for sliding a camera on :)

Anway first shots using these as a camera slide for doing multiple shot focus stacks - 10 to 15 shot focus stacks using zerene of a Phalaenopsis orchid.

brian v.

www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Brian,
Bought the wife some new table mats..... (emphasis added)
What a great surface for sliding a camera on
I know how that goes! :wink:
Don't wax too poetic about the camera sliding capability in front of your wife or she'll start to wonder about the actual reason for their purchase! :D

(and I can't help but wonder who scratched up the melamine surfaced table mats) :smt102 :smt044

LordV

Post by LordV »

Charles Krebs wrote:Brian,
Bought the wife some new table mats..... (emphasis added)
What a great surface for sliding a camera on
I know how that goes! :wink:
Don't wax too poetic about the camera sliding capability in front of your wife or she'll start to wonder about the actual reason for their purchase! :D

(and I can't help but wonder who scratched up the melamine surfaced table mats) :smt102 :smt044
:) :)

She was actually pleased with the mats
Brian v.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I just saw these pictures and discussion. A lovely way to start the day! :D

Brian, please refresh my memory about how you use these things. I'd probably do something silly like tape down a ruler to guide the sliding of the camera. Do you run these completely freehand, except of course for the flat surface to slide on?

--Rik

LordV

Post by LordV »

rjlittlefield wrote:I just saw these pictures and discussion. A lovely way to start the day! :D

Brian, please refresh my memory about how you use these things. I'd probably do something silly like tape down a ruler to guide the sliding of the camera. Do you run these completely freehand, except of course for the flat surface to slide on?

--Rik
Thanks rik,

I do run them free hand after doing a little bit of propping up of either the subject or the camera or both. I normally do a slide through first to check the FOV then go back to the nearest focus point and take the shot sequence. Obviously I do get a little unwanted movement which shows up very nicely in sensor spot trails which often come out in little lines but does not seem to affect the stack. I suspect i do not always get the the movement absolutely perpendicular to the subject but again the error seems too small to significantly affect the stack.

Brian v.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic