Gorillapod?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

homestar455

Gorillapod?

Post by homestar455 »

I've been thinking about getting a Gorillapod, but I want to know if they're any good before I drop the $50 on the model for my camera, not to mention the separate ball head...
Does anyone here have one? If so, would it be worth the money? (strictly for macro shooting, I've already got a good, tall tripod for landscapes and such) Or is there something else that would be better bang for the buck?

I've searched the forums, but the only mentions I can find of Gorillapods, are ones that have been taken apart and used for other purposes... Which tells me some of you aren't too fond of them? lol

LordV

Post by LordV »

I get the impression that any time you could use a gorilla pod you could just rest yourself or the camera on the same object. Could be useful I suppose for some time lapse photography but have also seen mention that they tend to start sagging after a while.
I often just use a bean pole for stabilisation if I can't find anything to lean on :) - see below)

Brian V.

Last edited by LordV on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I have one. As with a car door top-of-wound-down-window-mounting clamp which I also own, it has been taken on trips but not used, because a bean bag has covered those applications where a tripod was not the best option.

With Gorillapod, make sure you get the correct model for your intended use.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Brian: That's kinda what I was thinking, though I have had one or two situations where that wouldn't exactly be convenient, let alone possible.
The pole stabilization is a good idea though, I might just give that a try.

Harold: I don't have a bean bag, but most of my macros have been shot from prone position with the camera resting on the ground or in my hands. So it sounds like I'd be just as well off without one?

Yeah, I'd have to get the SLR-Zoom model, which is why I'd likely need the ball head as well...

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

homestar455 wrote: I don't have a bean bag, but most of my macros have been shot from prone position with the camera resting on the ground or in my hands. So it sounds like I'd be just as well off without one?
I would tend to agree with you when using flash but it has advantages in ambient light, especially when using low shutter speeds. Your hands may shake or move (get cramp?) and the ground may be uneven. A bean bag is somewhat analagous to memory foam. Once it is in position, and the camera wriggled into the postion/angle required on the bag, it won't budge. You can even take your hands off and use a cable release. The downside is that my bag, full of bird seed, weighs about a kg.

Harold

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Harold Gough wrote: I would tend to agree with you when using flash but it has advantages in ambient light, especially when using low shutter speeds. Your hands may shake or move (get cramp?) and the ground may be uneven. A bean bag is somewhat analagous to memory foam. Once it is in position, and the camera wriggled into the postion/angle required on the bag, it won't budge. You can even take your hands off and use a cable release. The downside is that my bag, full of bird seed, weighs about a kg.

Harold
Yeah, those longer exposures are kinda the reason I was thinking about a gorilla pod. Though the thing is, I just finished making that flash diffuser and haven't really given it a good field test to see how well it works compared to natural light...
I like that idea, filling your bag with bird seed, kill two bir- err, accomplish two things at once. lol
For me a single kilo isn't going to make a huge difference. I'm a big dude and could use the extra exercise. ;)

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

homestar455 wrote:I like that idea, filling your bag with bird seed, kill two bir- err, accomplish two things at once.
It is a source of bird bait, in suitable circumstances.
homestar455 wrote:For me a single kilo isn't going to make a huge difference. I'm a big dude and could use the extra exercise.
For me the issue is mostly one of flight luggage limits in economy class.

Harold

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Harold Gough wrote:It is a source of bird bait, in suitable circumstances.
Yeah, but I don't get the impression you're killing the birds, just shooting 'em right? (word play)
Harold Gough wrote:For me the issue is mostly one of flight luggage limits in economy class.

Harold
Oh, well I don't do a whole lot of flying, but I could see how that could be a bit of a problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic