Leaf Cutter Ant

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dmillard

Leaf Cutter Ant

Post by dmillard »

Atta texana, Field width about 3mm

My first ant . . . it has its flaws, and I gained a lot of respect for the ant photographers on the forum during this exercise!

David

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I think the flaws are more evident to you the photographer than to us the viewers. This looks very good.

I see you mentioned in another thread that some of the highlights blew out on this one because of contrast increase that occurred during stacking. On close examination, I can see some individual pixels that have blown out, but it's not obvious that you've lost any of the surface texture. What areas are you particularly concerned about?

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Thanks Rik,

I wouldn't have even attempted this stack in the past, because of the inevitable stacking artifacts that would occur on the setae, but ZS PMax handled them painlessly. The areas I'm concerned about are the highlights on the mandibles and on the structure immediately above (clypeus? labrum?). They look OK at this scale, but appear more problematic at greater image enlargement. I also have an annoying glare from out of focus highlights on the right side of the image. I may just play with the series in Photoshop, and then rerun the stack.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic