Hello from Wyoming, USA

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

thartl

Hello from Wyoming, USA

Post by thartl »

Been posting for around a month now - but haven't introduced myself. My name is Tyler - I teach k-6 physical education, and have a million passions ranging from Football (american,) to photography. I play alot of golf in the 3 months that I have good weather, and a few times during the months I don't. I have a huge passion for learning the most about my interests when I do them that I can. I guess you can say when I do something I give it my all. I shoot alot of portraits, its how I pay for my equipment. I started photography in 2003 when I got a journalism endorsment from a small college in the states. My first digital SLR was/is a canon 20d. I continued by buying lenses cases and memory. It got expensive and a few people asked me to take some portraits. So I started buying flashes and strobes, and realized I needed to get paid to do this, so I opened a portrait studio in 2007. I shoot mostly families and kids, but do a few sporting events locally occasionally. I venture off into product and business, and really love to find ways to shoot for my own walls, which will be my intent with Macro eventually. I now own enough equipment for my wife to call my photography habit (stupid,) although its all in fun. She just doesnt like the extra time I take doing it. hahah. Currently I am shooting Canon 5dMkII and love it. I have a 100-300 IS macro, a kit 18-55 macro (which I never have ever even put on a camera,) a 50mm f2.5 macro, my 24-105 f4L IS is macro though I save that for portraits, and a 135mm Macro soft focus lens. (I have others that are not macros.) The list could go on - but just thought Id share my basics.

Anyway - thanks for reading and nice to "meet" you all.
Tyler

Still Learning!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Welcome Tyler :D I know what you mean about gear. I have so much stuff that I don't know what I want to carry or what I want to leave behind when I go out and like you before, I often wonder why I am not trying to make at least a little money with all this gear. Oh well, maybe one day I will. Not a golfer though, fly fisherman. :lol:

thartl

Post by thartl »

Not a golfer though, fly fisherman.
Ah - I love that too - a man of a thousand masks. I can't live in this area without fly fishing - period. Grew up in Montana fishing the Big Horn and the Stillwater mostly. The Stillwater is not a huge attraction to alot of people - and all the better - I have caught lots of fish on that river, though admittedly no whoppers.

Fly fishing gear is sort of like camera gear - I have a lot.

Other Hobbies include:
Playing and Watching all sports - doesn't matter what they are -
Camping
Bowling
Mt Biking (although that has gone by the wayside lately.)
RC Airplanes (but not in depth - just the toy grade they are really cheap and fun.)
Poker
As well as the other things mentioned - teaching, photography, and golf.

Thanks Ken!
Tyler

Still Learning!

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Hi Tyler,

So that's who you are!!

Learning bellows... not that is something I have not done!!

Welcome. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

If I had as much invested in photography as I have fly rods, reels, and tying, I could open a studio. :lol: Though the size of the trout in the river is an important issue, the fact that there are trout there, out weighs my concern at times, especially when any trout, almost, is a monster on a 3 wt. progressive tip rod. Uh, I'm a big Sage/Able fan by the way. :wink:

thartl

Post by thartl »

3 weight, yeah - I don't go that small but I bet you can get alot of action at the tip!

I fish 4 and 5 weight. My little brother learned fly fishing a few years ago and we put him in a little hole full of brookies, (small things,) just so he would catch one. My brother had spent too much time watching bass fishing. He saw the fish strike, and yanked his pole way back, and flung the little 8 inch fish clear behind his back.

Lots of funny little fish stories like that........not very many whoppers. Love fishing around Jackson hole - you ever been there?
Tyler

Still Learning!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Tyler wrote:
Love fishing around Jackson hole - you ever been there?
I have traveled out west and up into the northwest but have never had the chance to stop and do any fishing, always in a rush to get from one side of the country to the other. The farthest out I have fished from North Carolina is the Little Red out in Arkansas. Here, for the most part, the streams are small, small cold mountain streams which have no name that are full of brookies no bigger than several inches, which is why I prefer a short (8') 2 weight rod with 3 wt. weight forward line to load the tip a bit faster. Casting is pretty tight in areas where Rhododendron thickets prevail and so no long tight loops that look so beautiful on calenders are possilbe. :lol:

thartl

Post by thartl »

Too bad - The only trout I haven't caught is a golden. Rainbows are the most fun. Fished up by West Yellowstone (South of Bozeman Montana) on the madison this summer and caught alot - lost even more. Largest was around 18 inches - Brown. The rainbows were the trickiest as they "danced" the most and could work the fly out. The cutbows were pretty fun. Ate a tasty rainbow - usually only eat one out of my catch - that was a about 15 inches. Caught the River on a good week when everyone was using dry flies and I wasn't too proud to use a nymph. Up there they fish nymphs most of the year due to weather so when they can use dries they do. Well it was a cold week in July - rainy and wet, and so dry flies weren't working well and everyone was sticking to them out of stubborness.....more fish for me.

Do you tie your own? Got any good macros of live nymphs?
Tyler

Still Learning!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I tye all of my own flies, mostly nymphs in sizes 16 and smaller for the mountain streams. When fishing tailwaters, especially below the earthen dam at Watauga River, I will use as large as a size 10 Hares Ear, wieghted to get down deep in the current below the dam. The water is deep of course and quite cold. There I fish a 7 wt rod, though you can get by with a five, as it is a lot more fun anyway but the Rainbows below the dam are so large, that only three are allowed per day in posession, cleaned or not. They almost remind one of Salmon in that they have that big "hook" jaw. On average they are about 24" some larger and I have never weighed one but I can tell you they are hefty and put up a tremendous struggle. Another great place here is below the South Holston Dam, the tailwaters there are so cold that it is dangerous to wade in them without insulated waders but the trout fishing is fantastic. A good way to fly fish the Holston is to float and the fishing is fantastic all the way to where it reaches the lake, then you can start using Wolly Buggers in crayfish colors for Smallies. \:D/

missgecko

Post by missgecko »

Hey ken, what on earth is a sage/able????? :shock:
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

missgecko

Post by missgecko »

AAarrrghhh, sorry, welcome Thart !!! :D
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

missgecko wrote:Hey ken, what on earth is a sage/able????? :shock:
Sage flyrods and Able fly reels. They are made for each other. :D

thartl

Post by thartl »

Thanks Aynia and MissGecko and Ken -

I fish Reddington - but mostly due to cost. I only carry two rods, an 8.5 and a 9ft. Sometimes I need the 9 in the local winds - sometimes even that doesn't help.

I shoot photos more than I fish - so I have more invested in photos. I golf more than I fish too. :lol:
Tyler

Still Learning!

Bob Ballantyne

Post by Bob Ballantyne »

Well, darn, I'm a newbee to this website and joined to get advice on some problems with photomicrography, of which I have done very little. I have done more videophotomicrography.

And so I drop into this part of the forum and find a fly fishing discussion. I am in Pennsylvania, but have been to Yellowstone 23 straight years, staying in Gardiner and fishing mostly the northern half of the park.

Since I have a son in western Colorado, one in New Hampshire, a daughter in Alaska, and a good friend in British Columbia, I get to do a lot of it "on the cheap." The daughter in Alaska is married to a FedEx pilot originally from Wyoming, lived awhile in Tennessee which got me on the Litte Red in Arkansas at one time.

I have also done a little flats fishing in the Key West area.

Bob Ballantyne

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have fished the "Little Red" back when I lived out in Arkansas but since I lived in the southwest corner of the state, I seldom made it up to the Little Red but on rare occasions. A great river to fish though, just be sure to harken unto the warning siren when they are about to open the flood gates of the dam. I had hoped at one time to make up to the White but never got the chance. Othewise, however, I use to fish Smallmouths with an 8 wt. and poppers or crayfish colored Wooly Buggers, great fun there too! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic