Fruit fly?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Fruit fly?

Post by lauriek »

Some small fly anyway but it looks fruit fly 'ish' to me. Any thoughts on ID from this portrait?

I'll try to post a full body shot later if that helps!

Stack of 69 images with OM 38mm/2.8 at f2.8 at full bellows extension and lens fully extended. Stacked with Zerene pmax.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks like something in Drosophilidae, the Vinegar Flies.

"The members of this family are usually under 5 mm in length. They are found wherever overripe fruit or vegetables abound. Their life cycle is short and their multiplication rapid."

If so, this is the family that contains the experimental genetics beast, Drosophila melanogaster.

--Rik

LordV

Post by LordV »

Lovely stack - yes does look like a fruit fly.
Not sure if it's the lighting or the PP but doesn't look quite as sharp as your norm ?
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Brian yes I notice that this morning. I think I was rushing to post that before I went to bed last night and I omitted the final sharpening step after resizing down for web.

Playing with this image this morning it seems to take a large amount of sharpening without problems, at least to my eyes. Can I ask does this version look oversharpened to anyone?

(Same image as before but additional unsharp mask after resize for web and less 'levels' work)

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Can I ask does this version look oversharpened to anyone?
Yes, you can! :)

Looks fine to me, not oversharpened at all. Could perhaps do with a bit more sharpening. Have you ever tried sharpening with high pass filter?

--Betty

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Betty, I've not tried using a high pass filter, can you advise how I might proceed with that, as it's not an option I can see in my sharpening menus...

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Laurie,

Once again, it now pays off that I've installed the English version of PSElements for better communication with you folks. :D

For sharpening with the high pass filter I proceed as follows in PSE 5.0:

New layer with ctrl+J

Set Layers on Overlay

Select Filter > Other > High Pass
there I set the radius to a value usually between 0.5-5 pixels (got to try what works best with a particular image).

Then in the high pass layer, you can also adjust brightness and contrast by selecting Enhance > Adjust Lighting > Brightness/Contrast.

I then try to reduce noise by selecting Filter > Noise > Reduce Noise (again one has to try what settings work best here)

And when I like the result, I do Layer > Merge Down.

--Betty

P.S.: I am not experienced in PP at all. So if somebody thinks something wrong or detrimental is done when using the high pass layer this way, please chime in with your thoughts and advice

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic