Springtail reflections

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

Springtail reflections

Post by LordV »

Globular springtails around 1.7mm body length walking on a small puddle with a flower placed behind them to reflect back into the water. Taken at 5:1 FF focus stacked and cropped a bit.

Brian v.

www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Super shots. I really love these little fellas. Have trouble seeing them though!!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Enchanting, the reflections add a lot. The background colour in the top one's a bit strong though?
I've seen a few springtails. I know they were springtails because they sprang away as soon as I got within arm's length. I reckon you speak arthropod!

l2oBiN

Post by l2oBiN »

#2 is my fav. Lovely captures.

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

Great! With those background colors it looks fairly psychedelic.

Cheers
Harry

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Wonderful, Brian!

Is that one and the same springtail that you transferred to another background setting? I wonder that the big water drop seems to be in exactly the same position on the back of the animal(s) in both photographs.

--Betty

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You've rumbled him Betty!
That's not water it's standing in, it's that sugar solution and the poor thing's GLUED there!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice! In the first one, I like how the flower in the background matches the color of the stripes on the springtail.

--Rik

LordV

Post by LordV »

Thanks for the comments everyone- appreciated.

Betty - it probably is the same springtail - there were actually a few of them walking on this puddle- all I did was change the flower behind them to get a different reflection.
Brian v.

l2oBiN

Post by l2oBiN »

Do they actually walk on the surface of water? Sometimes for the tiny stuff its hard to tell the scale. It would be quite interesting if you could capture a series going from say 1:1 with something in reference to it like a match stick and then down to 5-1 =P. thats my Request for you Brian =P. These buggers are very "cute".

LordV

Post by LordV »

l2oBiN wrote:Do they actually walk on the surface of water? Sometimes for the tiny stuff its hard to tell the scale. It would be quite interesting if you could capture a series going from say 1:1 with something in reference to it like a match stick and then down to 5-1 =P. thats my Request for you Brian =P. These buggers are very "cute".
Yes they do and can walk on water - may springtail species actually live on water surfaces. Not sure if the pic below will help to scale them - they are on a water barrel lid about 18" in diameter and the raised mouldings (the reflective stripes) are 10mm long.There's around 50 springtails in this photo :)

Brian v.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

LordV wrote:Yes they do and can walk on water - many springtail species actually live on water surfaces.
Cave species, in particular, also some pond/bog species as their normal habitat. Many species are to be found on the surface of water at times.

Great shots.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

l2oBiN

Post by l2oBiN »

Yes they do and can walk on water - may springtail species actually live on water surfaces. Not sure if the pic below will help to scale them - they are on a water barrel lid about 18" in diameter and the raised mouldings (the reflective stripes) are 10mm long.There's around 50 springtails in this photo :)

Brian v.

Cool! How did you attract them to the lid? Do they just turn up?

LordV

Post by LordV »

Thanks for the comment and further info Harold :)

l2oBiN - The only thing I have done with this water barrel is place some filter matting in the middle of the lid on top of which is an upturned clay pot. This actually to attract a couple of other species of springtail. These coloured globulars seem to need a damp place to hide (I suspect under the lid) and then a damp grazing surface that some detritus /algae growing on it. You will actually find the same springtails on the underside of damp fallen leaves (as well as many other small bugs).
They are one of the things that once you have spotted them you find start seeing them all over the place - damp wood surfaces are also a good place.

Brian v.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Congratulations Brian - these are breathtaking images!

Regards,
David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic