Testate amoeba - Arcella species

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Testate amoeba - Arcella species

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

The purpose of this posting is to illustrate the structural modification that is continually taking place inside this interesting testate ameoba. I think it might be Arcella vulgaris?

The four photos grouped below are of the same Arcella shot over a 3 minute period. In fact I took about a dozen pics (1 every 15ish seconds) and every one was completely different. The photos were focussed "through" the test - which from other pics that I took appeared to be a ribbed dome (you can see some of the ribbing near the outer edge of the animal). I was unable to identify the double nuclei with any certainty. I did wonder about the round organelle(ish) looking features at about 11 and 4 o'clock?

The two small, single celled critters seem to be inside the test (if that's possible?) or underneath the animal, as they disappeared when I pulled the focus up onto the top of the test. You would have expected them to move into sharper focus if they were above the test.

Bruce

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Arcella is always fascinating and your pictures give an excellent insight. For 3D layout have a look at Charlie's posting at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ht=arcella

I often find Arcella in samples, but of course not when I set out to look for them. I recently spent some time searching pond samples for one to determine whether the test is transparent at near IR - I still don't know, but if it is it could offer some opportunities for some informative photos.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks Graham,

Yeah that diagonal, 3/4 view of Charlie's is amazing isn't it.

When I first saw Arcella through the scanning 4X objective I thought it was a pollen grain or something similar - then I noticed it was moving! That sent me scuttling of to the net to try and identify it - not easy as I didn't know it was an amoeba - but that's all part of the fun - and it just leads on and on.....

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wonderful pictures Bruce. I have seen these also and I did not know what they were until now. I thought they were a Diatom :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Bruce,

these round "organells" are the nuclei indeed.

See one of my attempts:

Bernhard

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Bernhard,

For some reason I didn't get an email notifying me of your posting - so I've only just spotted it.

Really sharp detail in your pic! Pleased to have the identification of the nuclei confirmed - thanks.

Bruce

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic