Russian ammonite Fossil

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Russian ammonite Fossil

Post by beetleman »

Here are some shots of a Russian Ammonite fossil we have at work. The specimen is 35mm (little less than 1.5") across and totally filled in with Iron Pyrite (fools gold) crystals. Very shiny & metallic. I am not sure what the small hairlike things are in the chambers, they could be another mineral. I did not see them until I processed the pictures on the computer. This fossil is from the late Jurassic period. The smaller picture is a stack of three shots I took with the focus bracketing setting on the camera. The closeup is a stack of 6 pictures using Helicon focus. Here are a few links for general info on Ammonites. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonite & http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/s ... pyrite.htm

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Interesting pictures and details you've captured. Great to learn something new thats millions of years old :-)

I guess this fossil has been sectioned to show the interior.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I should have mentioned that they are ground & polished down to show the interior of the shell chambers. Thanks Erland R.N. :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I ought to try to get into fossils more than I am. Was fascinated with them as a youngster, and this shot remiknds me why.

Another note to self--Get Helicon Focus and learn to use it.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You did good Doug, excellent and very interesting shots. :D Can't say I have ever personally seen one but I have seen other photographs of them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic