New Weevil stack

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

New Weevil stack

Post by lauriek »

I found another weevil last week, I think it might be the same species photographed by Acerola a week or so ago in the wild. I froze mine for stacking!

I have a lot of trouble with Weevil stacks, as my normal mounting method doesn't work very well with small hard round insects! But here is my best shot so far... (I normally pinch either the rear of the insect, wings, or legs in a small folded piece of cardboard, and then pinch that in a crocodile clip, which is mounted on my specimen holder - with small hard round things like weevils, there is a tendency to 'ping' out of the holding cardboard and end up on the carpet, hence some of the fluff/dust on this specimen!!)

I love the way the whole head/neck/shoulders seems to be one large ball & socket joint! :)

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Just wonderful! Great image.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Hehehehehe :D That is so incredible and funny looking :smt043 He is just too cute. I was thinking of an alien ball on a ballpoint pen. I like the "crocodile clip" also, here in the USA, we call them "Alligator Clips" :smt082 . This is what makes the internet so wonderful and universal. Excellent work Laurie :smt023 ("thumbs up" means the same thing right? :wink: )
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Very nice photograph, Laurie!
Yeah, very cute how the little feller got stuck up to his neck and eyes in his brown jumper! :D With his "beak" he reminds me a bit of a kiwi bird and the back-folded antennae give him a friendly smile. :wink:

Regarding your mounting difficulties: Maybe you could glue your specimen onto something like a strip of cardboard. Water-diluted common wallpaper paste (= cellulose glue/paste) is used in entomology for mounting purposes. Minute droplets of that glue dry quickly and can ( as well as unwanted residues) be solved with a little water afterwards when you want to dismount your specimen, e. g. for another positioning or further storage.

--Betty

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Many thanks for the kind coments! :) He/She is a little cutey!

Doug, thumbs up does mean the same thing here in the UK, though I expect somewhere in the world it means something offensive! (Thumbs up /what/?!) ;)

Betty thanks for the tip on the glue, I recently started looking at entomological equipment, that makes a lot of sense and I guess wallpaper paste is probably quite cheap, considering the amount to be used for each bug! :)

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Laurie,

Fascinating! It looks like it is covered with shag carpet.

Keep posting these great images.

Roy

acerola

Post by acerola »

Very good portrait. My weevil was either hazelnut or oak weevil. Curculio nucum or Curculio glandium. Maybe the latter.
Péter

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Great picture, I remember him from the Muppet Show:-

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Gonzo

DaveW :lol:

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wow! Dave... you nailed it.

I kept thinking that this really reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it...

Gonzo it is!

spidermanbryce2006

Post by spidermanbryce2006 »

Brilliant shot, god i dont even know why im posting my photos on this forum, geez you guys must laugh your head off at my photos!!!!

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Wow great shot Laurie, almost looks like a bird! Think Snipe!
http://scribble.scran.ac.uk/user29631/f ... /snipe.jpg
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

The BAT

Post by The BAT »

Cyclops wrote:Wow great shot Laurie, almost looks like a bird! Think Snipe!
http://scribble.scran.ac.uk/user29631/f ... /snipe.jpg
Hi guys,
i agree with Cyclops, it does look like a bird, but to me it looks like a New Zealand 'Kiwi'; a little ground dwelling bird with brown feathers and a long snout/beak.
Brilliant photography/stack.
Bruce...

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

spidermanbryce2006 wrote:Brilliant shot, god i dont even know why im posting my photos on this forum, geez you guys must laugh your head off at my photos!!!!
Not at all! I've been looking at your Flickr pics, pretty good!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

lauriek wrote: I expect somewhere in the world it means something offensive!
I believe that includes parts of Central and South America.

Also: http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=52

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Regarding your mounting difficulties: Maybe you could glue your specimen onto something like a strip of cardboard. Water-diluted common wallpaper paste (= cellulose glue/paste) is used in entomology for mounting purposes. Minute droplets of that glue dry quickly and can ( as well as unwanted residues) be solved with a little water afterwards when you want to dismount your specimen, e. g. for another positioning or further storage.
I've been using SuperGlue/cyanoacrylate. Not ideal, really!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic