Explain your user name

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S.

Cyclops
Posts: 2997
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: North East of England
Contact:

Explain your user name

Post by Cyclops »

Some names are self explanatory,while others need a littlle thought.
Mine comes from the fact that I only have one working eye. I was born with a faulty left eye so can only see thru the right one,and not brilliantly with that! It means I can't judge distances properly or see 3D stuff. I also tend to walk into things,even now at 42!
So whats the significance of your user name?
Canon 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Aynia
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Europe somewhere
Contact:

Post by Aynia »

I used to pick funny names, but then joining late to sites the names would have a very long number tacked onto the end.

So it's just my own name.... :)

microcollector
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Port Orchard, Washington

Post by microcollector »

Microcollector comes from my hobby, mineral collecting. I enjoy collecting micro minerals that have to been seen under the microscope to appreciate.
Doug Merson
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

elf
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:10 pm

Post by elf »

Mine is obviously self explanatory :smt020

Cyclops
Posts: 2997
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: North East of England
Contact:

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:Mine is obviously self explanatory :smt020
You used to work for elf and safety
Canon 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Planapo
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:33 am
Location: Germany, in the United States of Europe

Post by Planapo »

elf wrote:Mine is obviously self explanatory :smt020
Is it?

Sorry but "elf" and the headphones/listening-to-music smiley doesn't give me a clue. I didn't fully understand the fun you guys had with the "blue bottle" recently either. Cultural differences maybe?

Hmm...
No offense, but actually when I read your postings, I always have to think of him. :lol:

--Betty
Last edited by Planapo on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclops
Posts: 2997
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: North East of England
Contact:

Post by Cyclops »

Planapo wrote:
elf wrote:Mine is obviously self explanatory :smt020
Is it?

Sorry but "elf" and the headphones/listening-to-music smiley doesn't give me a clue. I didn't fully understand the fun you guys had with the "blue bottle" recently either. Cultural differences maybe?

Hmm...
No offense, but actually when I read your postings, I always have to think of him. :lol:

--Betty

:P love that film
Canon 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin
Posts: 21198
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Richland, Washington State, USA
Contact:

Post by rjlittlefield »

Planapo wrote:I didn't fully understand the fun you guys had with the "blue bottle" recently either. Cultural differences maybe?
Don't know about the other folks, but I was amused by the thought of wrapping a detailed yet completely off-base interpretation around a set of observable facts. I'd been about to speculate that the bottles' mode of reproduction might resemble that of "wireworms" (otherwise known as coat hangers), but when the topic shifted to apparent mind control by the brown ones, I decided to give up before the limitations of my imagination became embarrassing! I have no idea whether this sort of humor has cultural variation, though I would not be surprised if there's a genetic component. :wink:
elf wrote:Mine is obviously self explanatory :smt020
Well, it certainly wasn't to me, at least for a long time. Things got a lot more clear when I exchanged some email with the member. Perhaps the attribution on the July front page will offer a better clue? The headphones still have me baffled, though. :?

--Rik

elf
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:10 pm

Post by elf »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Planapo wrote:I didn't fully understand the fun you guys had with the "blue bottle" recently either. Cultural differences maybe?
Don't know about the other folks, but I was amused by the thought of wrapping a detailed yet completely off-base interpretation around a set of observable facts. I'd been about to speculate that the bottles' mode of reproduction might resemble that of "wireworms" (otherwise known as coat hangers), but when the topic shifted to apparent mind control by the brown ones, I decided to give up before the limitations of my imagination became embarrassing! I have no idea whether this sort of humor has cultural variation, though I would not be surprised if there's a genetic component. :wink:
elf wrote:Mine is obviously self explanatory :smt020
Well, it certainly wasn't to me, at least for a long time. Things got a lot more clear when I exchanged some email with the member. Perhaps the attribution on the July front page will offer a better clue? The headphones still have me baffled, though. :?

--Rik
Ah, the insidious sillicus ballii has tampered with your free will. You may have to tighten up the firewall before they take over all of the forums.


p.s. emoticons can be randomly selected...

Cyclops
Posts: 2997
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: North East of England
Contact:

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote: Don't know about the other folks, but I was amused by the thought of wrapping a detailed yet completely off-base interpretation around a set of observable facts. I'd been about to speculate that the bottles' mode of reproduction might resemble that of "wireworms" (otherwise known as coat hangers), but when the topic shifted to apparent mind control by the brown ones, I decided to give up before the limitations of my imagination became embarrassing! I have no idea
Well, it certainly wasn't to me, at least for a long time. Things got a lot more clear when I exchanged some email with the member. Perhaps the attribution on the July front page will offer a better clue? The headphones still have me baffled, though. :?

--Rik
Fabulous Primrose image there Elf!
Canon 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin
Posts: 21198
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Richland, Washington State, USA
Contact:

Post by rjlittlefield »

OK, I'll go next.

"rjlittlefield" may be self-explanatory, but as it happens, "Rik" is not!

Often told but never printed, here for the first time is the Origin Story.

My official first name is "Richard", but to my family I was always called "Rick" when spoken. At school, I was always "Richard" both ways. When I went to college, I decided to seize the opportunity of a new environment and become "Rick" in all contexts. So I started signing my name that way.

Alas, it turned out that my handwriting was defective! The "c" and the "k" would nestle up against each other so that what I wrote ended up looking like "Rid" followed by some unrecognizable squiggle. Not acceptable.

Several possible courses of action occurred to me:
1. Do nothing and live with the weird signature.
2. Fix my handwriting.
3. Revert to "Richard".
4. Change my name.

Of course you can see which way I went.

And so, from that day forward, I have been known as "Rik".

Now here's the fascinating part. Because of that oddly motivated, almost random choice from 40 years ago, I am now internationally recognizable in the strong sense that if you ask any search engine about Rik Littlefield, even with no quotes, most of top hits you get will be about me.*

I find that quite bizarre. Everything's connected to everything, sometimes quite strongly!

--Rik

* Exceptions: I've never played soccer for TCU, I don't do real-estate financing, I don't have a Facebook page, and I'm not on LinkedIn.

Edit: to add the bit about LinkedIn.
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin
Posts: 8574
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:58 am
Location: Near London, UK

Post by ChrisR »

that of "wireworms" (otherwise known as coat hangers),
Uk species are probably the same. Put a couple in a cupboard and they clone themselves to replace all the nice ones, which had the rubbery grippy strip which stopped your trousers sliding onto the floor.

Supermarket bags do something similar in the kitchen drawer, but the cloning is imperfect, it always leaves holes.
Our household is blighted with half-used-bottle-reproduction syndrome. There are often incidences with marmalade, limescale remover, and almond essence. We think it might be something like a parasitic resonance peculiar to a particular cupboard.
Coathangers are obvioulsy not frequency sensitive.

elf
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:10 pm

Post by elf »

Planapo wrote:
elf wrote:Mine is obviously self explanatory :smt020
Is it?

Sorry but "elf" and the headphones/listening-to-music smiley doesn't give me a clue. I didn't fully understand the fun you guys had with the "blue bottle" recently either. Cultural differences maybe?

Hmm...
No offense, but actually when I read your postings, I always have to think of him. :lol:

--Betty
I've added an avatar to help : :smt108

Cyclops
Posts: 2997
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: North East of England
Contact:

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:

I've added an avatar to help : :smt108
Either youre very small or you like mushrooms! ;)
Canon 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cyclops
Posts: 2997
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: North East of England
Contact:

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote:OK, I'll go next.

"rjlittlefield" may be self-explanatory, but as it happens, "Rik" is not!

Often told but never printed, here for the first time is the Origin Story.

My official first name is "Richard", but to my family I was always called "Rick" when spoken. At school, I was always "Richard" both ways. When I went to college, I decided to seize the opportunity of a new environment and become "Rick" in all contexts. So I started signing my name that way.

Alas, it turned out that my handwriting was defective! The "c" and the "k" would nestle up against each other so that what I wrote ended up looking like "Rid" followed by some unrecognizable squiggle. Not acceptable.

Several possible courses of action occurred to me:
1. Do nothing and live with the weird signature.
2. Fix my handwriting.
3. Revert to "Richard".
4. Change my name.

Of course you can see which way I went.

And so, from that day forward, I have been known as "Rik".
now proceed to Show You[r] Faces and show us what you look like, just in case there's another Rik Littlefield! ;)
Canon 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic