Pure

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Pure

Post by Cyclops »

My Phalaenopsis Orchid is in full bloom again

Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

It might not be something you want to achieve, but I used to light the insides of subjects like these by bouncing light in off a plastic dental mirror.

Andrew

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

AndrewC wrote:It might not be something you want to achieve, but I used to light the insides of subjects like these by bouncing light in off a plastic dental mirror.

Andrew
Hmmm interesting!
But wouldn't that act like a spot light,lighting just one tiny area?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Yes and no - for instance what it let me do was direct light into the centre, which was otherwise shaded. It depends on the light source you are bouncing - I was working in a greenhouse bouncing strong overhead light and using a mirror about 1.5cm in diameter - like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dental-Stick-Mirr ... 286.c0.m14

The nice thing about the "mirror on a stick" is that it is easy to position around small subjects.

Andrew

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Say that gives me an idea! I got an old mirror out of a busted camera somewhere. Surely I could glue it to an old toothbrush and Voila!

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

That should work and I imagine that would be a higher quality mirror than on a 99p dental stick! However I don't suppose that would make much difference if you're just using it to bounce some light around...

Nice shot! I think you chose the DOF just right for this subject...

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Please don't take this as criticism - it's entirely subjective!

I really don't like the DOF as it is. I'd want to see the whole of the foreground part of the flower sharp.
And whatever that black/white detail is through the hole in the back part, I don't want to see it.

So I'd be thinking about a stack of wide aperture shots of the front part, which would let the back go further oof.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

ChrisR wrote:Please don't take this as criticism - it's entirely subjective!

I really don't like the DOF as it is. I'd want to see the whole of the foreground part of the flower sharp.
And whatever that black/white detail is through the hole in the back part, I don't want to see it.

So I'd be thinking about a stack of wide aperture shots of the front part, which would let the back go further oof.
Chris, I did take a shot like that, with a small aperture and lots of DOF, but I preferred this approach. Its more of an art shot and less of a technical shot. I'm goig to re work it to take out those dark pieces in the centre and maybe boost the saturation a little-I saved the PSD file so it will be lossless.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

I really like this shot as it is. I can see a little alien character in it!!! Ooopss.. and no I have not been on the sauce again (eg wine or beer or something like that!!!!) :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Aynia wrote:I really like this shot as it is. I can see a little alien character in it!!! Ooopss.. and no I have not been on the sauce again (eg wine or beer or something like that!!!!) :D
Thanks. And yea,I see that Alien too! So its not the sauce,this time ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic