Fly with mouthparts

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Graham46

Fly with mouthparts

Post by Graham46 »

Blue Bottlefly if Im not mistaken. Canon 5D MKII with canon 65mmMP-E lens at 3x. Diffused macro twin-lite. ISO 125, 1/125 @ f/5. 27 frames stacked in ZS using PMax.

Edit: Green bottlefly
Last edited by Graham46 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper cogitatio
Graham

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Looks like a greenbottle to me, nice shot though, particularly well controlled lighting!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice.

But in the spirit of continuous improvement...

The lower front of the thorax is completely black, RGB=(0,0,0) over some areas. And with the black background, I'm having trouble seeing parts of the antennae and some of the bristles.

The black background and dark shadows are dramatic -- the image has a lot of visual impact.

But if you're shooting to produce a reference illustration, I suspect it would be better with a gray background and some more fill illumination.

"Horses for courses", and all that.

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

What a shot!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Very clean specimen and "tack sharp".
The colors are spectacular, too.
Jim

Graham46

Post by Graham46 »

Rik--

What can I say, I guess Im more of an artist. I use a curves adjustment layer on almost all my photos. Im sure youre familiar with the black eye dropper... does wonders to the tones of the image, but yes I suppose it makes blacks into pure black, making those parts hard to see
Semper cogitatio
Graham

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Art is good! I just like to call out these issues so people can think about them. I know you have feet in both camps at the moment, and I wasn't quite sure whether this picture was destined to be hung on a wall or bound into an ID guide.

--Rik

Wayne Baker

Post by Wayne Baker »

I have this argument constantly with my uni lecturers. For artistic impact the higher contrast and the blacks are best but for illustrative / scientific purposes you need the shadow detail. Depends on what you're using the image for... Nice capture. I'm gunna have to try some bugs myself I think!

:D :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic