Stonecrop among the rocks

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Stonecrop among the rocks

Post by rjlittlefield »

A couple of small Sedum plants (species unknown) growing in crushed rock on a glacial moraine.

For the story, see HERE.

--Rik

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Followed the links. What a wonderful place. I have the same but different, very different. :)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very nice! Sedums will grow just about everywhere!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very beautiful Rik. This is actually the first time I have seen them in the wild. I have a few in my rock garden.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Beetleman, sedums are very common at higher elevations in my area. The way they grow here, they fully deserve their name. Stone crops, that's where you'll find them. The one shown here is unusually succulent, with those bladder-like leaves.

I just looked up Sedum in Hitchcock & Cronquist, "Flora of the Pacific Northwest". It seems there are only two species in this area that have opposite leaves on the flower stems. Only one of those is listed in the University of Washington's online herbarium. So if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Sedum divergens. But I can't really distinguish it from Sedum debile, which is not shown in the online herbarium and which Hitchcock & Cronquist distinguish by technical characteristics that can't be seen clearly in this photo. So since I don't have to bet, I think I'll just leave it as "some kind of Sedum". :D

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic