Canon MPE65 on a Nikon Body?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Some of the latest Nikon cameras do have an additional electronic aperture control facility in order to be able to use the latest electronic diaphragm controlled tilt and shift lenses since Nikon's old mechanical diaphragm linkage could not be made to work with a lens that tilted and shifted.

I don't suppose these would be compatible with Canon though, although I think as with Nikon's change from autofocus with in body motors to that in lens we may see electronic diaphragm Nikon conventional lenses in the future.

However Nikon seems to retain backwards compatibility with it's older systems for many years on it's non-consumer cameras, so new Nikon's may have both types of autofocus, plus two types of diaphragm control built in for a while to come.

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/bl ... pressions/

DaveW

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Elf - yes I have (several) bellows, and a few short lenses. But stopping the lens down manually in the field is difficult because you move while you do it and then you can't see to focus.
Hence the desire for an auto diaphragm.
If you go from a butterfly at 1:1.5 to a bee at 3:1 you're going to have to change lenses, or tubes, or something. A helicoid to cover a wide range has to be used with a short lens where WD is short too.
Hence the desire for a lens which will focus over the range.

Dave - righty ho I'll just solder some wires between my D700 and an MPE65 to see what happens :lol:

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"Dave - righty ho I'll just solder some wires between my D700 and an MPE65 to see what happens."

Make sure you stand on a rubber mat then when you try it! :shock: :lol:

DaveW :)

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

ChrisR wrote:If you go from a butterfly at 1:1.5 to a bee at 3:1 you're going to have to change lenses, or tubes, or something.
I use a device called a second camera body (of the same model) with the alternative lens fitted. :)

This is not just to cover two magnification ranges (in close-up work) but, say, a wide-angle zoom on one body and a telephoto zoom on the other. Sometimes I have a slow film in one and fast in the other.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

trifly

Post by trifly »

elf wrote:It can be much more flexible... since you can put any lens on it.
I'm not finding this to be true, although its entirely possible that I have misunderstood your statement.

I'm having a very hard time finding an adapter that goes from an M42 body to a standard Nikon F-mount lens. Does such an adapter exist? Its easy to find the reverse (to fit a Nikon body to an M42 lens)... Any help very much appreciated...

It'd be nice to use the M42 helicoid to a macro Nikon lens I already have... frustrated so far... again, grateful for any input...

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

WHat's the Nikon lens? Could you reverse it?

You could of course glue a Nik rear lens cap to an M42 body cap (or T2 mount)

I have a number of adapters for B.P.M. Bellows; Nikon, M42, M39. I can always tape the relevant ends together. They flare out, so stay put together very well.

JGVilla

Post by JGVilla »

trifly wrote:I'm having a very hard time finding an adapter that goes from an M42 body to a standard Nikon F-mount lens. Does such an adapter exist?
Its easy to find the reverse (to fit a Nikon body to an M42 lens)... Any help very much appreciated...
Yes, they do exist. Have a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Lens-to-all-M ... 0212141814
-Jan-

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic