Medicago orbicularis - the Round-fruited medick

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Franz Neidl

Medicago orbicularis - the Round-fruited medick

Post by Franz Neidl »

This is now a good time here in Italy to observe many species of the Fabaceae.
You see Medicago orbicularis - the Round-fruited medick.
The fruit has a diameter from about 1 cm.
Zerene-stack with 4 pictures.

Franz

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

So that's where Gallileo and Archimedes got their clever designs from :)

Andrew

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Franz,

You have introduced me to a plant worth growing for the pods.

Great pictures!

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

A nice and well lit plant portrait, Franz.

I've heard the name "Schneckenklee" (would translate as "snail clover") beeing used at least for some of the Medicago spp. . I am not sure but it could well be that the reason for this colloquial name is the remarkable shape of these pods?

--Betty

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

for Betty:

The name "Schneckenklee" is related to the whole genus Medicago with about 80(!) species (cfr.http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneckenklee). The German names for Medicago orbicularis: Scheiben-Schneckenklee, Tellerförmiger Schneckenklee and Kreisfrüchtiger Schneckenklee. (You can see- we have a rich language).

Franz

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

It's an amazing looking plant.... and an equally beautiful photo. :D

Schneckenklee - the Germans have a wonderful way with words. :)

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Franz-

Thank you for sharing this beautiful image of a wonderful plant structure!

David

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

I've come back to look at this a few times - it is nice :)

How did you light it ?

Andrew

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

How did you light it ?

Andrew
Hallo Andrew,
thank you for your attention to Medicago orbicularis!
My method for the light was the following:

1. the main light: it is coming from the window on the left side from my desk. When it is possible I avoid the light from a flash. It is so difficult to control it. I made also the experience that the - according to human psychology - the main light should come from the left side.

2. the secondary light: it came from a carton on wich a had glued a golden foil. It brings a warm colour and it corrects some of the shadows. This light should not be very strong. It should just reflect the light coming from the window on the left side. It is possible to control the (new) shadows. (Sometimes the golden foil is not very approriat - special with the white colour. In this case I take an aluminum foil - from the kitchen- glued on the carton).

As background I took green paper. For the shutter I used a remote IR control.

Franz

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Thanks Franz, I've experimented with silver foil before but never gold.

Interesting comment about the light direction - do you have any links to info about it ? I wonder if it makes a difference for left and right handed people as we process information on opposite sides of our b rains.

Andrew

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hallo Andrew,

in the moment I can not find special literature to the problem of the lighting form left to right. I think it is dependet from our culture: We are writing from left to right (even if somebody is left handed he will read and write from left to right). It is also dependent from a long history in painting. Look for exemple the paintings of Vermeer.
There are studies about the movements of the eyes when somebody in our culture starts to observe a photography.
When you see a picture from a group of persons the names are generally enumerated "from left to right".
Of course in photography exists also the lighting from right to left. But I think in our culture the most common method is from left to right.
When I am looking to a photography generally I start with the left upper corner and go down to the right lower corner.

Franz

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

It is interesting - I nearly always pose my subjects looking to my left, their right, the same direction you use for the main light source. Neuro-linguistic programming (if you believe it) would have us believe that for a right handed person, moving your eyes to your left is associated with Visual and Audio Recall, but it is thr reverse for a left handed person.

Still, whatever the reasoning - it is a good image :)

Andrew

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic