New member from Sweden

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

sagarmatha

New member from Sweden

Post by sagarmatha »

Well actually I've been posting here for some weeks now. Haven't seen this index before.
As some of you know I made some macro stuff in the mid 80s with my Olympus OM2/OM4, auto tube, twin flash and so on. This interest cooled down a bit when I went to the Himalayas for the first time in 1986. I've been there 7 times since. (Transformed dia slides from these adventures can be seen at http://foto.staffanmalmberg.se).

So it's just recently that I took up this interest again and I'm not using any fancy equipment ... so far. I'm waiting to see what the market has to offer in the near future.

Beside the macro interest I'm also fond of landscape photography and especially in regions where the topography is a bit more challenging, like Nepal. That said it would be very interesting to see e.g the national parks in Canada. I got some good links from Rik about that.

The interest for classical music has followed me for a long time. BBB (Bruckner, Beethoven, Brahms) are my favorites in descending order.

My interest in long distance running, marathon, has cooled down considerably since my last run in New York, 2008. I don't know why. Maybe that's why my photo interest popped up again.

PS
I don't think many of you have heard my nickname before. But if I say Mount Everest then everybody knows what I'm talking about. Yes, Sagarmatha is the nepali word for this mountain.

Life is short - follow your interests
web galleries: http://www.staffanmalmberg.se

Panasonic FZ50
Olympus MCON40, Raynox: 150, 250, MSN-202

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Staffan, thanks for the introduction and the links to your fascinating photo galleries.

I have gradually realized that I don't know what the phrase "dia slides" means. Google finds me lots of uses, but no definitions. I assume it is shorthand for something, but what?

--Rik

sagarmatha

Post by sagarmatha »

Sorry Rik. Well if I say Kodachrome then a guy in your age should understand.

Panasonic FZ50

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Kodachrome, of course!
Kodachrome, they give us those nice bright colours
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the worlds a sunny day, oh yeah
I got a nikon camera, I love to take a photograph
So mama dont take my kodachrome away
Simon and Garfunkel, 1973. Some people question whether they were referring entirely to film... :wink:

--Rik

sagarmatha

Post by sagarmatha »

This song is new for me, I left contemporary music already in 1971!

Panasonic FZ50

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

And you were probably better off for it!

Simon and Garfunkel were part of my early life.

A few years ago I bought a CD collection of their work.

Good memories, but much of the music was oddly disappointing.

I have the same feeling about many of my old images. What seemed good then, are grainy and blurred now. Times change, the bar rises...

--Rik

sagarmatha

Post by sagarmatha »

Agree. Many of my "dia slides" are really grainy and it's difficult to get the true color but there is the reminiscence factor that makes me keep them. ... At least for some time.

Panasonic FZ50

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

rjlittlefield wrote: I have gradually realized that I don't know what the phrase "dia slides" means. Google finds me lots of uses, but no definitions. I assume it is shorthand for something, but what?

--Rik
Kinda slang; more correctly diapositive

diapositive definition
dia·posi·tive (dī′ə päz′ə tiv)

noun

a positive photographic image on a transparent material, as a photographic slide or lantern slide
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2005 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Aha! Thanks for that, NikonUser.

So then "Kodachrome" is much more descriptive, as any other common slide film would also be "diapositive". (At least, I assume that negative slides are uncommon.)

The first time I saw "dia", I thought it might be short for "diazo". But that quickly became unreasonable as the conversation progressed.

--Rik

sagarmatha

Post by sagarmatha »

Rik, I didn't know you had an interest in chemistry?

Panasonic FZ50

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I have interest in many things. Interest is easy. :) Knowledge is harder. :(

My background in chemistry is limited to a few courses in college and a few years collaborating with computational chemists, helping to write software that calculates electronic structures. I have forgotten most of the details --- fortunately Google can now help me to spell "Schrödinger".

--Rik

sagarmatha

Post by sagarmatha »

True, true. Well I haven't done any molecular orbital calculations since back in 1982 when I took extra courses in physical chemistry. But I can still spell the names Heisenberg, Dirac ... Incredible guys, pen and paper.

Panasonic FZ50

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

I didn't know about your 'name'. Nice one.

Do you play the violin? :D

sagarmatha

Post by sagarmatha »

I did... after a while I found out that it's much nicer to sit down and listen to music :D
I can really recommend Bruckner symphonies. Start with # 3 or 4. Great. You'll love it. Especially the end bars of his movements. The orchestra is escalating, you forget time and place, you get goose hair (or whatever you call it in english) and transfer yourself to cosmos.

Panasonic FZ50

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

sagarmatha wrote:I did... after a while I found out that it's much nicer to sit down and listen to music :D
I can really recommend Bruckner symphonies. Start with # 3 or 4. Great. You'll love it. Especially the end bars of his movements. The orchestra is escalating, you forget time and place, you get goose hair (or whatever you call it in english) and transfer yourself to cosmos.
My personal classical collection is mozart mozart mozart, but I think I shall look out for Bruckner.

Goose hair = goose bumps or goose pimples. .. at least here in Ireland. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic