Rove beetle (Antenna shot added)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Rove beetle (Antenna shot added)

Post by lauriek »

No not Harry, but I think this is a Rove Beetle, quite a big one, around 1" long...

51 images in stack. Shot with E330, OM Bellows, OM38/2.8 @ f2.8. Stacked in Zerene stacker
Last edited by lauriek on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

If it had reddish-brown elytra it could be Staphylinus caesareus. Anyway, a superb picture.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Great detail in this! :D

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

Harold Gough wrote:If it had reddish-brown elytra it could be Staphylinus caesareus. Anyway, a superb picture.

Harold
I agree, it's a superb picture. I do not agree with the ID :wink: , i.e., the genus is correct but the species is Staphylinus dimidiaticornis (S. caesareus has golden pubescence on the postocular region.

Cheers
Harry

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Laurie, what are the little spots all over the eyes? They look like tiny water droplets. Condensation on a cold subject?

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks for the kind words all, and thanks Harry for the ID! It's nice to nail one to species level occasionally! :)

Rik yes that's condensation. I did leave this one for a little while after getting it out of the freezer, and it looked okay in the viewfinder, these spots were only obvious once I'd stacked the images together.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Here's one I managed of the antenna, with the Nikon 10x objective at full bellows extension;

34 images stacked in Zerene stacker

DQE

Post by DQE »

Great photos!

Please consider sharing your initial impressions of the Zerene Stacker software. It looks promising based on their web site.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I've been very impressed with ZS. I've done quite a few tests running the same images through ZS, CZP and Tufuse pro (I don't have Helicon) and the ZS output has always looked the best to me. Sometimes the other two can come very close but ZS definitely has the edge, particularly on halos, and overlapping details. Also the built in retouching facilities are easy to use..

I did mention it elsewhere but in case you're not aware I was one of the ZS beta testers so I've been using it quite a while now. I don't bother running stacks through the other packages any more, I just run everything through Zerene.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic