Camellia

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Camellia

Post by Charles Krebs »

Two different Camellias on kitchen table by window light.

Canon 5D, bellows with 75/1.9 Wollensak Oscillo-Raptor (love the name of that lens! :wink: )

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

They are lovely, Charles!
I could imagine them well as background in advertisements. Like those for cosmetics, perfume, fine chocolates, or on the packaging of such products.

What purpose was this lens originally designed for by Wollensak? Yeah, the name is cool, Jurassic somehow. :)

--Betty

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I like those, especially the first one, love the colour range in that!

The lens certainly has a cool name! :) And great bokeh to go with it..

kds315*

Post by kds315* »

Wonderful shots Charles!!

I love to do these myself, using what I call them, monster lumen lenses, like a f0.75/65mm lens:
http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl. ... tiveNr=109
Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
http://www.pbase.com/kds315/uv_photos for UV Images and lens/filter info
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

Beautiful, Charles! A pleasure tzo the eye. Reminds me of my own TV-Heligon shots.

The art with such Zero DOF shots is in composition and choice of focal plane.

BTW - till now I have associated Wollensack with professional audio equipment :) .

Cheers
Harry

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks all!

Betty... these were designed to photograph oscilloscope screens onto a larger format (like Polaroid prints). The markings also indicate 1:0.9X, which is the intended magnification. If you try to use is as a "sharp' macro lens it will disappoint (although it's really not too bad stopped down at the design magnification)... but at large apertures for this type of shot... \:D/

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Love the colours in the first one. :D Very chocolate boxy!! :D

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Not to be a spoil sport but isn't it an Oscillo Raptar

You can still get these for more or less free on ebay.

Just search Oscilloscope Camera and a bunch will come up.
I have yet to see anyone pay any real money for them.

I have several of them that I couldn't bear to see tossed in dumpsters.
One is a Tektronix very elaborate camera with an Ilex Oscillo Paragon Lens on a big shutter. You can still get a little money for the shutter. This camera had a big glass beam splitter which would project a grid from a transparency onto the film. It has a slideable dark slide allowing you to take several shots on the film sheet. It has a polaroid roll film back. They probably haven't make polaroid roll film in ten or fifteen years.

I scrapped a very interesting oscilloscope camera once that recorded traces onto thermal paper. It had a 50mm Oscillo Raptar f/2 with blue single coatings on it.

The Wollensak trademark is now owned by the owner of Surplus Shed who is using it on products he imports from the far east. He owns it but I find the practice deplorable. I am sure the Wollensak brothers would be turning over in their graves if they knew.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Yeah, it should be an "a"... raptar. Too much Jurassic Park on my brain. Still like the name though....

I got this a long time ago and it may actually have been for the shutter as much as the lens. This was back in the days when I was into mounting process lenses into shutters for large format work. Wollensak made some very nice (and large!) shutters. The Alphax shutters (like this lens has) were really well made and very reliable.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

That second shot of the rose petal reminds me of one of my own favorite shots I took at the Lt. Governer's House here in Victoria (note: url wasn't working at time, easter weekend site is down should be back later I'm sure).

My shot is on my website.
Carl B. Constantine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic