Lacewing stacks

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Lacewing stacks

Post by lauriek »

A green lacewing shot with the usual setup.

First with Nikon 10x objective at minimum OM bellows extension;

Posed on Moss... (69 images in stack)

Secondly at maximum OM bellows extension (same lens);

(102 images in stack)

A bit of overexposure on this second one, it was very difficult to balance the light, enough to light the thing but not flare out sections... I need a more shapeable, variable diffuser of some kind!

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Laurie,

The first image is especially 'eye-catching'.

Laurie wrote:
I need a more shapeable, variable diffuser of some kind!
I've recently begun using diffuser cylinders made from Rosco Gels - they have an extensive range and application potential. In addition to using them as diffusion cylinders, they can also be applied to speedlights, etc.

http://www.rosco.com/ (select your region, then via the main menu goto Products > Products for Lighting.

Do your flash units have a variable/selectable flash output duration adjustment?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Craig for the kind words and the Rosco link, I've asked for one of their swatches...

The twinflash I use can go down to 1/512 power (Not sure what the power output but I normally use it around 1/2 - 1/16 depending on the amount of diffusion material... I just couldn't get enough light onto this subject without blowing tiny sections, my camera doesn't perform well if I underexpose badly, the noise gets quite bad when you push the exposure in raw processing, and although NeatImage can get rid of a lot of it I'm sure it also reduces detail so I'm averse to getting the noise in the first place!

btw I should mention now that it's public, this and all of my posted stacks for the last couple of months or so have been done with Zerene...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice images, Laurie -- as usual. :smt023

I wonder, given the blown highlights in the second image, if your illumination is as diffused as you're intending it to be.

If you're using plastic foam, you might consider trying paper.

I ran an experiment a few months ago that showed some surprisingly large differences between plastic foam and tissue paper. See HERE for those results.

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

That's very interesting, thanks Rik.. Somehow I missed the end of that thread.. I will be running some tests over the weekend if I get a chance!

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Heck lacewing eyes lose their 'sheen' quite soon...

I tried to shoot a comparison shot with a paper diffuser, and it does definitely diffuse more than the foam I was using. But the character of the eye has changed unfortunately, so it's not a great comparison. There is no glare on the antennae base though!

I also changed lens, my OM38/2.8 arrived today and I _had_ to test that out! :) First impressions are _nice_. At the upper end of magnification I was previously achieving with a reversed OM50/1.8@5.6 this lens looks to be quite a bit sharper to me (First tests done at f2.8 ). I'll have to do a proper comparison one of these days. (there are _loads_ of different things I want to test out properly but my shooting time is quite limited at the moment so I just cannot get round to it!)

I've looked more carefully at the foams I have (I have loads of little diffusers made of loads of subtly different foam) - and I can see that some of them will work less well than others. I suspect the one I was using on the lacewing before is one of the worst ones, large hunks of stuff make up the foam but it's quite transparent. The original foam I made my original arch and cylinder from look much better, less transparent and much smaller 'grain'.

Moral of this story is - test your foam! Don't assume because it looks vaguely similar to one you used before that it will work as well...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I assume you're talking about an Olympus bellows macro lens, 38 mm f/2.8? If so, it's a sweet lens -- my favorite in its magnification range. The one I tested is sharpest wide open, though not by much. Frequently I use it at f/4 because the improvement in DOF and focus step is worth more than the slight cost in resolution.

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

That's the lens, I've been after one for an absolute age now and finally picked one up for a reasonable price (compared to the going rate at the moment anyway!).

I'm certainly impressed from the couple of stacks I ran as tests tonight, it really is noticeably better than the reversed 50/1.8, which I was quite happy with before!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Laurie,
Really like that top shot! Great background.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic