My macro setup for dragon- or damselflies

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyberspider

My macro setup for dragon- or damselflies

Post by Cyberspider »

Everybody know how difficult it is to come closer to insects which have a very wide distance to escape like damselflies, dragonflies, and so on...

I want to show you my setup for situations like this :lol:

click image to enlarge

Some examples with the working distance:
approx. 3 meters (EOS 400D DIGITAL - 1/30 - F9 - ISO 100 - EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 400mm - Extension Tubes)
click image to enlarge

approx. 2 meters (EOS 400D DIGITAL - 1/30 - F9 - ISO 100 - EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 400mm - Extension Tubes)
click image to enlarge

approx. 1.2 meters (EOS 400D DIGITAL - 1/30 - F9 - ISO 100 - EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 400mm - Extension Tubes)
click image to enlarge

Thanks for looking
best regards
Markus

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Markus - Thanks for posting your dragonfly set-up.

I have a Nikon D300 and use Kenko extension tubes (3 tubes totalling 68mm) on my Nikon 105mm macro lens. Normally I use 36mm or 48mm of extension. Anyway, I have never thought to try using the extension tubes with normal zoom lenses in this way.

I've often been frustrated by my inability to get close enough to emerging dragonflies on my local pond. Generally I can get to within perhaps 2 meters of the subject. I have an 18-200mm VR zoom lens and will give your extension tube set-up a go later this year. Of course I'll test it out in the garden first so I have an idea what to expect.

Bruce:)

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Bruce, dragonflies usually keep coming back to the same perch - just set up your camera focussed on the perch, plug in a remote and then take shots sitting several feet away. Emerging dragonflies are different, but then they usually can't fly if they are still actually emerging. In that case look for one half way thru th eprocess, again setup for remote triggering and then snap away as it completes the process

Andrew

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic