Floating -

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Aynia

Floating -

Post by Aynia »

Jam jar outside with some sparkling water - dull day- and some coloured card.

Used 35mm macro + extension tube. Bit of a crop and flipped the image.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I like this a lot!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hallo Aynia,
a very interesting and clear picture. Could you give some tecnical details, ex. gr. exposure time, flash ecc.?
I did'nt understand (sorry for my English!):
and flipped the image
Franz

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Thanks Larry and Franz.

Franz, sorry, .. flipped is probably the wrong word for this. The image is rotated 180 degrees...

So it's upside down.

It was a jam jar which is perhaps octagonal (I'll take a pic tomorrow) - not the typical round one. (Aldi rhubarb and vanilla jam!!)

Flourescent cards were placed underneath the glass.

Camera .. Olympus e520, 35mm macro, 25 mm extension tube.

F6.3, 1/250 sec, iso 200.

No flash. (It would probably have bounced off the glass!!)

There was sparkling water in the jar but at first there were no bubbles and I took pictures of the edge of the water which I might post tomorrow as they are interesting.

Then when I added more water... bubbles appeared.

I will take a pic of the whole lot tomorrow to show you.

Bubbles can be difficult because they appear out of nowwhere and get bigger and bigger until they burst. Some of them burst in the background making a mess of the image.

It was taken in the garden.

This kind of stuff is addictive because no two shots are the same.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm fascinated by this image! It's lovely, and it's completely mysterious. :D

Without your explanation, I would have no idea what I'm looking at or how it was shot. With your explanation, and standing on my head, I think I get it --- these are a couple of rising bubbles captured just before they hit the surface, seen against the colored background and reflected in the water surface.

Do I have that right?? :?

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

That jam sounds yummy! BTW I believe in the states jam is called jelly.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

rjlittlefield wrote:I'm fascinated by this image! It's lovely, and it's completely mysterious. :D

Without your explanation, I would have no idea what I'm looking at or how it was shot. With your explanation, and standing on my head, I think I get it --- these are a couple of rising bubbles captured just before they hit the surface, seen against the colored background and reflected in the water surface.

Do I have that right?? :?

--Rik
That's pretty much it, Rik! :D

Did some bubbles last year by accident - against clear blue sky.. might have posted one or two but got no comments. (They weren't really like this though...!!)

Then I thought I'd do one on my partner's red car out the front... used a pint glass with those, but discovered that many bubbles were out of focus and it only dawned on me recently to find a container with more of a flat surface... and why not coloured card.??!! The coloured card would save a lot of thinking as to where I'd go next. Location and surroundings does play a part in the bubble.

I did one with the glass infront of one of the cats.
http://poty2008.dcmag.co.uk/39135626294 ... eeper.html

Might post one from out the front tomorrow... with the pint glass... as you can see the glass in it!!

Last year's lot produced mostly duds. My World... from last year...
http://poty2008.dcmag.co.uk/39135626253 ... world.html

This time round, a few more keepers. :D

Larry the jam is yummy if you have an Aldi near you. I had it at a friend's house first before I discovered it. (jelly.. now that's something with gelatine in it - not vegetarian!! :D )

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Yea but the americans call jam 'jelly' and what we call jelly,the stuff made with gelatine they call Jell-O i think

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I learned it that "jam" is made from crushed fruit and "jelly" is made from filtered juice. Jams are translucent and a bit mushy. Jellies are transparent and more crisply gelled.

"Jell-O" is a brand name for a series of gelatin deserts. The original version consisted mainly of gelatin plus color and flavor, no actual fruit in sight.

What things do you folks mean by "jam" and "jelly"?

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote:I learned it that "jam" is made from crushed fruit and "jelly" is made from filtered juice. Jams are translucent and a bit mushy. Jellies are transparent and more crisply gelled.

"Jell-O" is a brand name for a series of gelatin deserts. The original version consisted mainly of gelatin plus color and flavor, no actual fruit in sight.

What things do you folks mean by "jam" and "jelly"?

--Rik
Yep your JellO is like our Jelly. Comes in cubes and you disolve it in boiled water. Jam is preserve. Made from actual fruit and sugar and eaten on toast or teacakes. Marmalade is similar

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Here's one done with a pint glass - you can see the shape in the bubbles- taken out the front of the house.

Image[/img]

Cyberspider

Post by Cyberspider »

The first one is very coloful...I like it...btw congratulations for the april frontpagecover...you earned it!
best regards
Markus

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Having seen the shot several times before. I have just noticed that each bubble looks like a smiling face.

An excellent image, however considered.

As a part-time professional (retired) preserves maker and seller (via Country Markets, formerly W I Markets) I can clarify (pun not intended) the jelly situation. Jelly is the same as jam, except that the fruit is cooked and then strained to remove pips/stones, skins, etc.. The sugar is then added (recipes usually specify so much per volume of juice) and boiled to setting point.

Jellies are stored in jars smaller than those usually used for jam, as agitation can break up the jelly structure.

Jams and jellies, under UK law* must contain a minimum of 60% by weight of sugar.

* Something for a wet weekend:

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/ ... id_rev.pdf

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Aynia wrote: flipped is probably the wrong word for this. The image is rotated 180 degrees...

So it's upside down.
I find that "inverted" works for me.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic