Litepanels

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Litepanels

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

http://www.s131567196.onlinehome.us/pro ... system.asp

The above light sources look awesome for macrophotography, though I have no direct knowledge. Alas, I looked 'em up at B&H after hearing about them, and kind of gagged, though:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... t_for.html
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

For Eight Hundred Fifty bucks you could buy all kinds of arc lamp equipment and have brighter (in the case of metal halide) and whiter (in the case of xenon) illumination.

There is a very large amount of work being done on LED illumination.
See the NIST Caliper report.

It may be that the Lite Panels are so expensive because they are expensively matched. They probably ARE the wave of the future.

As of now, LEDs are not ready for prime time, even though they continue to edge closer. They are fluorescent lights, using a violet LED as an exciter.
They all have a large peak in the blue. Not multiple peaks, like a fluorescent lamp, but a large uncorrectable peak none the less.

I am sure they will engineer this peak out. But they have not managed to do so yet.

So even though I bought a Volpi ring LED illuminator, on ebay to play with, originally thinking, that if its good enough for Volpi, (a swiss maker of fiber optics) ,it probably would be good enough for me.

If you are shooting monochrome LEDs are the way to go.

But for myself I only want to use quartz halogen sources, or xenon arc, or sunshine.

Gene

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic