www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Symbiotic Relationship - Aphids and Ants...Charles Chien
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Symbiotic Relationship - Aphids and Ants...Charles Chien

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twebster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Symbiotic Relationship - Aphids and Ants...Charles Chien Reply with quote

Submitted by Charles Chien...

D30, MP-E 65 f2.8 with 12mm extension tube at around 5x, lighted with two flashes, 1/250 sec. at f16. Setup on a tripod. Sharpened and resized. No cropping.

This is an old one that was taken in July 2002. It's one that I felt so lucky to encounter, but unfortunately, I have not seen such a scene since... I will, of course, keep searching.

What follow are the comments I had at the time... When I realized that there were flocks of aphids on a stem of grass yesterday, I had been trying to get a shot of an ant picking up a droplet from an aphid since. I spent quite a few hours and got about 8 shots of such yesterday, but not with the perspective that I wanted. Tonight when I got home from work, I set it up, but unfortunately the aphids were all facing far from the "right" direction to the camera, and I was not able to get any good shot. One of the aphid, next to the big one in this photo, left. This one, originally facing the camera, turned side-way just as it is shown. I was so happy, and could almost visualize this shot. A few minutes later, this ant came along and "drummed" the body of the aphid with its antennae, and this aphid raised its behind, and I pressed the shutter!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: