Three myxomycete capillitium and spores

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Three myxomycete capillitium and spores

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Nikon S type microscope
brightfield
40X objective
10X photoeyepiece
Canon 10 D

A fun sample of the variety of forms that the capillitium take in the differant species that produce them.

In the upper image spikes can be seen coming out of the rope like capitillitium. Not present in the previous single sample posted earlier.

The center image has a remarkable spiral to it if you look closely at the left hand vertical section. Knobs to the right, then facing you and then to the left terminating at the three sided "loop" in the center. Certainly no single hair-like strand here!

The lower image is extremely complex in its rings, half rings "Y" junctions and four sided loops.

Sorry for the lack of species names at this time. Don't want to make any errors.

Walt

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Walter... really fascinating. The lower two look like some type of intricate gold jewelry work, complete with diamonds!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some really nice photographs there Walt, really nice! :D I need to do some images like these myself the next time I get the chance. I have not studied the microscopic features as much as I should in these little organisms, so your photographs are indeed an inspiration to do so. Nice work. :wink:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Simply amazing Walt. A lot more complicated than the first pics you posted. I see your the type of guy that will save the really great stuff for last :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Well guys, glad you enjoyed them. There is always a period of anticipation when you discover a new capillitium bearing myxo as to what shapes you will see. Nature is amazing in her variety.

Walt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic