Nikon P90 With 24x Zoom and I:I macro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Nikon P90 With 24x Zoom and I:I macro

Post by Harold Gough »

It will focus down to 10cm, or 1cm in macro mode:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09020303nikonp90.asp

(I wonder if the face recognition is good for macro :wink: ).

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I'm never impressed by a camera that focusses down to 1cm. What would impress me is one that focusses at 1m amd gives a high resolution/quality image of 1:1 or more at that distance.
Maybe you missed the interesting spec. for this camera "images are recorded before pushing the shutter button"; think of the possibilities.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

NikonUser wrote:I'm never impressed by a camera that focusses down to 1cm. What would impress me is one that focusses at 1m amd gives a high resolution/quality image of 1:1 or more at that distance.
Me too. For many subjects I need to get 1:1 at 45cm or so. I have seen one of these close-focus cameras in use and it looks very awkward and very limiting.
NikonUser wrote:Maybe you missed the interesting spec. for this camera "images are recorded before pushing the shutter button"; think of the possibilities.

Yes. I missed that. I must be the "cut" point on the movie! What happens if you change your mind and don't press? :? The film version would get through a lot of film! :shock:

With this technology, digital users will become redundant/extinct before film users. :D

Harold

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Casio has the same thing in their two (rather unique) high-speed P&S cameras.

If you want to see a really nice application of this type of technology check out the BBC "Planet Earth" segment of Great White Sharks catching sea lions. Amazing! (There's a section on the DVD that goes into some details about getting the shots, and the very sophisticated hardware used).

Basically what happens is that when the camera is "armed" it is constantly recording and cycling images to a "buffer". If the "shutter" not released when the buffer is full then the earliest images are "overwritten", cycling continuously. If the shutter is released then the images in the buffer are written to the media along with the "real time" images.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Charles,

The principle (not the exact technolgy) reflects that is some message systems, some hard disc TV recorders (I think), and (best known) aircraft black boxes,. etc.

Harold

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

... and my wifes Cybershot has something called "intelligent Scene Technology" which apparently takes a second shot, compares it to yours and keeps the best. I keep it turned off. Let's face it, imagine the humiliation if it actually takes better pictures than I do :cry:

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

AndrewC wrote:... and my wifes Cybershot has something called "intelligent Scene Technology" which apparently takes a second shot, compares it to yours and keeps the best. I keep it turned off. Let's face it, imagine the humiliation if it actually takes better pictures than I do :cry:
It would be far worse if your wife took better shots than you! After all, chess experts feel no shame in being beaten by a specially-programmed computer.

Harold

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Charles Krebs wrote: ... Basically what happens is that when the camera is "armed" it is constantly recording and cycling images to a "buffer". If the "shutter" not released when the buffer is full then the earliest images are "overwritten", cycling continuously. If the shutter is released then the images in the buffer are written to the media along with the "real time" images.
It must be so much easier than the guys who had to run high speed film cameras :)

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Harold Gough wrote:
AndrewC wrote:... and my wifes Cybershot has something called "intelligent Scene Technology" which apparently takes a second shot, compares it to yours and keeps the best. I keep it turned off. Let's face it, imagine the humiliation if it actually takes better pictures than I do :cry:
It would be far worse if your wife took better shots than you!

Harold
... dangerous territory there !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic