Snowflake

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

l_acland

Snowflake

Post by l_acland »

I thought this might go well with my 'Frost' submission. I shot it a year ago using much the same techniques as the 'Frost' shot.
The saturation was amplified in Photoshop for this one. Magnification here about 40X.

One is never leaving a dear place. One is always in the process of returning to it. - Spanish proverb

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Laurence -

This is a beautiful image!

David

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Super shot! I always wonder how one gets these images as the slightest warmth will instantly melt it!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

l_acland

Snowflake

Post by l_acland »

Indeed it is difficult to capture the little fellows before they melt, unless the temperature is below -15C, then the illumination doesn't melt the crystal as quickly. As you can see in this shot the flake was beginning to melt already giving it those rounded forms. Within seconds after finishing shooting it, it melted away. The M420 Macroscope is great for this type of quick work, with its trinocular head. Position, focus, shoot; no muss, no fuss.
One is never leaving a dear place. One is always in the process of returning to it. - Spanish proverb

Tom Stack

Post by Tom Stack »

Very well done, absolutely beautiful, much better than anything I did 15 years ago when I lived in a colder climate! Bravo!

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Lovely photo. :D

Don't think I'd manage a snowflake here. Only had a day of snow so far..... and the flakes were like tiny hail stones. All melted now. :cry:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic