Out and About

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Out and About

Post by Cyclops »

Well, I went out this afternoon with the intention of capturing a sunset. Its not often i get to go out and today we had no sunset! I did get some shots of the scenery near wherre I live though.

Soon there will be spring flowers and insects around here-practice for my macro lens!

10D + Vivitar series 1 19-35 zoom
Oh I bought a polarizer from ebay, and then left it at home! :oops:
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well it is nice to see where you live there Larry, out in the country are we? Old grown-up fence rows, like that in the first photo are good places to hang out and look for things. :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Yea it does look like I'm out in the boonies in these shots and well it is only 10 minutes from my house. And i'm only a bus ride away from a busy town.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cyclops

fungi haunt!

Post by Cyclops »

Heres another spot. A possible haunt for fungi!

And that water looks cold!

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Larry,

I'm surprised by just how green the grass is under all that snow. (is this snow or a heavy frost?) :shock:

30°C at 10:45pm here in Australia as I write this.

Is there a story behind the design/arrangement of the bench/table in the first shot of your most recent post?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

augusthouse wrote:Larry,

I'm surprised by just how green the grass is under all that snow. (is this snow or a heavy frost?) :shock:

30°C at 10:45pm here in Australia as I write this.

Is there a story behind the design/arrangement of the bench/table in the first shot of your most recent post?

Craig
Definitely snow-we had about 3 inches. I guess the grass is pretty tough,plus its still very bright under all the snow. Haven't a clue about the bench tho.

Joe P.

Post by Joe P. »

>>>
Haven't a clue about the bench tho.

Used to have one of these here in Central NJ. It's part of an exercise trail. One is supposed to do certain things such as situps at the various station, then run on to the next... You can see another in the distance.

Joe P.
Hopewell, NJ

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum!

Thankyou for the information provided regarding the bench/table/exercise station in Larry's photograph.

There is something about the design and functionality of the piece that appeals to me; maybe because it is unusual and not predictable as such, but still practical; (you could also use it to sit and read a paper/book and have a coffee) anyway for some reason it caught my eye.

Larry, do you have any other images with the item in shot?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh yea there are various items of old exercise gear all over the field. Used to be somewhere for people to work out,get fit,but its been out of use a long time.

Harold Gough

Re: Out and About

Post by Harold Gough »

Cyclops wrote:Oh I bought a polarizer from ebay, and then left it at home!
It wouldn't have helped on that shot as you were facing the sun. :)

Your very first shot, of the track and hedgerow reminds me of many farm field experiments in my days testing pesticides. The ones checking effects on birds or rats were in the depths of winter. A hot lunch and some antifreeze (aka beer) were life-savers. :smt030

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

NikonUser

Re: Out and About

Post by NikonUser »

Harold Gough wrote"The ones checking effects on birds or rats were in the depths of winter. A hot lunch and some antifreeze (aka beer) were life-savers."

Harold, was this in the south? Depths of Winter in England, must have been in the 32F range- yikes!!
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Yes, South-Central. One of the furthest places from the sea (OK only 50 miles or so to the south) so we tend to get the extremes in summer or winter (coldest weather from the east or north). We have been relatively fortunate in the current cold spell. As usual, the deepest snow fell elsewhere. (There is a thaw on now, and it took about half an hour, at the weekend, to find a patch of ice for my learner-driver sister-in-law to experience wheel spin under acceleration).

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic