I found life!!

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

I found life!!

Post by Cyclops »

Now dont get too excited , theres not much to see here! :wink:
There are some flowers in a glass in the kitchen, and a purple dahlia fell in the water and fell apart a few days ago. It turned the water red and I got to wondering if theres anything in there.
I took a swab with a cotton bud(Q tip) as I dont have any pippettes, dabbed it on a slide and put it under the scope at 125X without a cover slip.
Apart from bits of shredded plant stem I found some algae, but there were lots of tiny animalcules, to use the old word(love that word!)
They are very small, smallest I've seen in a long time, and bean shaped. I imagine theyre some kind of rotifer but they moved so fast I couldnt keep up with em!

Not great images here but its given me something to explore further when I have more time.

follw the white lines...... ;)
(cropped on the PC)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Isn`t Life fantastic !!! Small or large. What ever you do Cyclops "Stay Excited" And get your children excited also. Because I am on the forum so much, my kids are starting to look at the pictures and are reading the posts (my youngest ones 12 & 14 years old) :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Well my two are 2 1/2 and my youingest 6 months, so got a ways to go yet! Tho the 2 year old has a fascination with spiders!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know there are a lot of bad things that can be said about the internet and home computers, you hear about it on the news everyday. We all should be proud of the fact that we can offer to todays youth, something that is wholesome and entertaining as well. Sites such as ours are a wealth of information and much can be learned from its members, as is quite evident. I have learned a great deal also since having became a member of this prestigous group of people. Keep it up folks, you are doing a great service in helping to educate our young people. Many thanks to all! :wink:

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I tell you what Ken, I wish I had access to this site when I was a nipper growing up with my toy microscope. As it happened I was very much on my own, doing my own things and developing my own ideas. No-one else was interested-it was my own personal world.
Bujt there were times when i could have used a little guidance, and you can bet i would have found a way of geting images from the plastic lensed scope I had back then, and posting them online.
In a way now is an exciting time for kids who want to learn. I will certainly guide them if theyre interested!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic