Just some bugs

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

doenoe

Just some bugs

Post by doenoe »

Made some bug shots 2 weeks ago, just got to proces them today. All where shot with a Canon 350D, Sigma 105 2.8 macro and a Speedlite 430EX with a lumiquest softbox. The settings were: ISO100, F13, 1/200
I have been hunting this kind of butterfly for ages, but it just wouldnt sit still. But finally one was hungry enough to just ignore the moron with the camera

Finally spotted a Dragonfly too and this one probably had seen more than enough photographers allready and just couldnt be bothered by me

And a spider, because spiders are cool :)

Thanks for looking
Greetz Daan

salden

Post by salden »

These are some beautiful images and that dragonfly is excellent.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Spiders are "cool?" Well that is one for the spiders. :lol: These are really sharp images, well done! :D

P_T

Re: Just some bugs

Post by P_T »

doenoe wrote:And a spider, because spiders are cool :)
Amen brother!! :D

I'm guessing that's a Garden Orb but they usually abandon their web to hide during the day time... Unless that's a night time shot with an off-camera flash. As Ken said, very sharp indeed. Did you do any sharpening in Photoshop?

doenoe

Post by doenoe »

Thanks for the comments everyone :)
I always use the unsharp mask in Photoshop. Since i shoot RAW, the camera doesnt do anything to the pic. So i have to do it myself.
Most of the times its cropping, levels, brightness/contrast, saturation, resize, unsharp mask.
Here is another picture of the same spider. But this time you can see its body. He is trying to get a leave out of its web. It was shot in daytime on a very sunny day.

tpe

Post by tpe »

I really like the first two, the butterfly because the wings fill up 2/3 on one side and the flower does the job on the other making the weighting very nice, especially so for a flash photo.

The dragonfly portrait is great just because it fills the frame so nicely and those things are real swines to get nicely composed.

tim

doenoe

Post by doenoe »

Thank you
im pretty happy with the butterfly pic too. Was the first white one i shot this year. Those things never sit still.
The dragonfly was pretty easy actually. I just moved very slowly and it just stayed put. Only flew away once and then it came back to the same spot. Was really suprised that it let me get that close though.

Danny

Post by Danny »

That would have to be the best cabbage white butterfly shot I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few :D Excellent !!!

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

albert

Post by albert »

Beautiful! Would you please tell me if those signed borders done in Photoshop as well? I am trying add my name to shots I may post or send around and the only thing I see in photoshop is something called, digimarc, which must be purchased -nt a problem, but the trial seemed rather convoluted, the image had to be saved as a gif first.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Albert, most people add visible signatures, copyright notices, and borders using the Text tool and layers.

Digimarc is something completely different. Its job is to create an invisible signature (invisible watermark) that can be used to deter & detect copyright violations.

--Rik

doenoe

Post by doenoe »

Sorry for the late reply Albert, i totally missed your post.
But if you didnt find out yet, the border is done in PS. It pretty easy to do actually. Just do a search for "Photoshop border" (or something along those lines) on Google and you will get tons of information.
In photoshop you can make an Action from it, so you dont have to do all the steps on every pic you want to have a border. You just click on the start button and voila, a border.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Excellent shots! Love that dragonfly!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic