Eye pieces

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Graham Stabler

Eye pieces

Post by Graham Stabler »

I've got a Nikon SMZ-10 stereo microscope currently with 10X eye pieces. I could do with some more magnification so would like to get hold of some 15 and/or 20X eye pieces. I'm talking to Nikon but I think they would prefer to sell me a new microscope (and part of me would like to buy one). But if I can I would like to try some eye pieces first.

Does any one know of a source? Are these a standard item available from sources other than Nikon or will they be in some way matched? Searching the part number has not found any results so far.

Thanks

Graham

Hairyduck

Post by Hairyduck »

keeping your eye on ebay is probably the best bet I'm afraid

Graham Stabler

Post by Graham Stabler »

Saved searches are locked and loaded.

Graham

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

You can buy 15x and 20x oculars on ebay anytime. These are far east production but will probably work fine. If you are willing to wait a little longer Nikon and other major branded oculars also appear in pairs regularly. The latter cost a bit more but are much less than Nikon list price.

The SMZ 10 uses regular 30mm. There is a 30.5 size also which will not fit. It is used by Meiji so don't buy their oculars or chinese ones copied from them. (Meiji stuff is wonderful.)

The SMZ 10 is a great little scope built in the late seventies. It is the only stereo I know of that can take stereo pairs photographs quickly and conveniently. It has a lever on the trinoc that is labeled Vis Left and Right.
When you are viewing you get 100% of the light. When you switch to left or right the selected side sends 100% of its light to the camera. There has never been any other stereoscope that does this. The closest thing are double beam splitter arrangements that waste varying amounts of light and require two identical cameras.

Therefore if you DID decide you wanted a new scope you would find that SMZ 10s bring better prices than similar used stereos. The Nikon name certainly does not hurt either. But people do hunt for these.

There is a microscope service company here in the US called Absolute Clarity and Calibration that has a web page titled "Microscopes to buy and avoid" They have edited the teeth out of the page undoubtedly after letters from lawyers. They claim that newer nikons have been cheapened too much for what is charged. The original pages can be found at the wayback machine or if anyone on the list PMs me I have taken copies of the original pages.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic