Ice in a stream

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Ice in a stream

Post by rjlittlefield »

OK, I'll be honest. It's really not ice in a stream. It's ice in a street gutter. I just thought "stream" sounded more natural and wholesome. :roll:

We've had quite a bit of snow and cold lately. More snow last night, but warm today so there was a lot of melting and we really did have streams in the gutters. But now the temperature is dropping again, and the streams are slowing down and freezing over. Apparently conditions are just right, because these large interesting crystals are all over the place. I thought you might enjoy seeing them. :D

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D with Sigma 105 macro lens, ISO 200, 1/15 sec at f/11, stack of 22 frames. Subject width 4".

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Really feel for you there Rik. :( It is supposed to be 60 and sunny here tomorrow and that is in the mountains! :smt041 Interesting image there by the way, haven't seen anything like that...well yet but I know its coming. :(

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Here's a closer crop that shows more of the cool patterns in the ice.

Somehow this strikes me as looking like something that should be coming back from one of our probes of some alien landscape.

Ken, you've got 60 and sunny in the mountains? If that happened here, we'd make national news for the flooding!

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Rik wrote:
Somehow this strikes me as looking like something that should be coming back from one of our probes of some alien landscape.
Now that you mention it, it maybe could pass for Europa or Io maybe? :-k
...you've got 60 and sunny in the mountains? If that happened here, we'd make national news for the flooding!
I bet you would! However, I've had enough bad news for one year. :( Lets hope for a much better one, eh? :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

You know Rik that looks like a pic from an electron microscope! Come on,fess up,show us your new christmas present! ;)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It does look like an SEM-scape, doesn't it?

Must be that stacking effect again ... or perhaps the lack of color... :-k :)

--Rik

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Rik wrote:
I've just finished reading a short article on the little rovers on Mars that just won't stop (gotta love 'em).

If you rotate the first image 180 degrees - a type of optical illusion kicks in.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

augusthouse wrote:If you rotate the first image 180 degrees - a type of optical illusion kicks in.
Cute! It's completely plausible either way up, but the flip makes it seem a lot more 3-dimensional.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic