New Internet Explorer 7

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

New Internet Explorer 7

Post by DaveW »

Many watching this site will be using Internet Explorer 6. The new Internet Explorer 7 was released this Wednesday. Details and download can be found here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

DaveW

salden

Post by salden »

I have it on one computer and it is great. I still need to put it on my main computer and laptop, but I wanted to test it out completely first.
Sue Alden

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I bet it wont work with M.E......... :roll:
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

What's really a screw up is MS is including it as a "security update" which means many users who don't want it are/will be forced to install it (at least if you use automatic updates, which is stupid, always run the windows update yourself, then you KNOW that something has changed in your system).

Appearantly, there is a way to block it http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=65788, but MS doesn't publish that info very well.
Carl B. Constantine

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looks as if it only works with XP and will be part of Vista:-

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7 ... fault.mspx

As to using other search engines the following link says:-

"Microsoft's Windows Live is the default search engine on Internet Explorer 7, but users will have the option to change to competing search engines. In Mozilla Firefox, the default search engine in the U.S. is Google Inc"

See full comments here:-

http://uk.us.biz.yahoo.com/rb/061019/mi ... .html?.v=1

It also states:-

"Mozilla said it also plans to release an upgraded browser, Firefox 2, within the next few weeks."

DaveW

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

You know it seems the more advanced things get the more limiting they are also!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi all,

I have it on both my XP computers and , so far, have not had any problems.

My only criticism at the moment is that the address bar is above the menu bar. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually.

It seems to be very configurable, and you can uninstall it if you don't like it. As for being forced to install it, it didn't seem that way to me. I have my system set to notify me when updates are available. I then decide whether I want the particular updates and install only those. IE7 was not offered to me as an update, I had to go to the IE7 update site to download and install it.

IE7 does come with Window Live Search as the default search engine, but it is very easy to change to any other search engine on the planet. I use Google UK as my default. The search engine chooser comes with several options built in, and also an easy way of adding any search engine that is not in the current list.

For what it's worth, the new browser is OK. It's just a browser, and it has all the main features you need, and a few I will never use. I see no conspiracy from Microsoft. I also have Firefox, Netscape and Opera on my system, but I used to prefered IE6 to all of those. Nothing in IE7 has made me want to use any of the others.

Bye for now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well I just installed IE 7 today, so far so good. I threw out a bunch of trash such as Windows Live and had to say goodbye to somethings I wish I could have kept on IE 6 but I am just old and set in my ways I suppose. :? Its okay so far and I have just realized that Windows Media Player 10/11 is trash too :smt017 . Ditched it! :lol: Installing Real Player as my default has proven to be much, much better. :D

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

ick. In some ways, RealPlayer is worse than Windows Media Player. They changed the interface around for WMP 10 and now it's bloody difficult just to play a cd, no real way to select a device.

But Real, bombards you with (please register, please pay) all the time even when you say DON'T. drives me nutso.

I use QuickTime and iTunes for all my stuff. And deal with WMP for some content. I really haven't come across a real need for real ;-)
Carl B. Constantine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic