A weird and useful thing I've discovered!

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

A weird and useful thing I've discovered!

Post by Cyclops »

When I decided to reverse couple my 28mm onto the 100mm macro (as seen in my avatar pic) I was wondering what effect altering the focus on the macro lens would make. I imagined that it would increase the magnification in the way that focussing closer with the macro lens in the normal way would, but what I've found it does is actually move the focus point! This is really useful, because rather than having to move everything backwards and forwards, squinting thru a dark screen, I just turn the focus ring on the macro lens and voila! Depth control! :D
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Is there a difference between changing the focus and changing magnification?

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

lauriek wrote:Is there a difference between changing the focus and changing magnification?
You know i don't think it is! Need further tests but I'm sure some one on here will know the answers
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

If I'm reading the reviews correctly, that Vivitar lens extends quite a bit as it focuses.

With a short lens on front, that variable extension will give a large change in focus for only a little change in magnification.

It's also very convenient, especially if you don't have a macro focusing slide.

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote:If I'm reading the reviews correctly, that Vivitar lens extends quite a bit as it focuses.

With a short lens on front, that variable extension will give a large change in focus for only a little change in magnification.

It's also very convenient, especially if you don't have a macro focusing slide.

--Rik
Just as I thought-thanks Rik. There may be some vignetting creeping in with it fully extended,need to check that. If so I can pull it in a bit and keep the same magnification

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic