water drop on CD

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

water drop on CD

Post by Charles Krebs »

I was looking around for something to photograph while waiting for my printer to grind out a large number of prints when I remembered the lovely abstracts Aynia posted recently. (And also recalled mgoodm3's post about "CD reflection spectrum")

So I sprinkled a little water on a CD and took a look. I liked one drop that was near the edge of the disk. The upper image is a from a stack of 15, the lower is a single image focused on the outline of the drop.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

You made the right decison. Powerful colours!

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Beautyfull Charles!
Could we have informations about the lighting?

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Amazing. Second one looks definitely other worldly! :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Gérard-64... the light was a single fiber-optic light guide positioned above and behind the drop. The guide by itself didn't provide a wide enough reflection, so I taped a piece of tracing paper in a broad "U" shape over the end. This gave, in effect, a "micro-lightbox" with about a 1 inch diameter bright white circle of illumination. This light really needed to be very easily moved about. Positioned just a fraction of an inch to the left or right, up or down, made for a completely different picture.

After I did the drop pictures, I took the CD and randomly scratched up the surface. I like the "drop" pictures better, but these were interesting as well.

(... hmmm... come to think of it, I'd like to give this treatment to some of my daughter's CD's... :wink:

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

This is really very interesting Charles.Thanks a lot for the informations.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Great shots!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

I knew when I mentioned what I did that someone here would come up with exceptional pics!! :D I love the scratches.

Before I accidentally started taking abstract nature photos, I wasn't really interested in abstract art of any kind.

Seems somewhere along the line I have done a complete U turn.

Great work Charles! :smt023

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Extraordinary series, Charles!

I really need to get over the Winter doldrums and make some interesting photos so I can forget about all the near-record snow we have been getting this season.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Jim

mgoodm3

Post by mgoodm3 »

Great pictures.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic