Dicranocephalus wallichi(Thaïland)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Gérard-64

Dicranocephalus wallichi(Thaïland)

Post by Gérard-64 »

D90,80mm+Raynox DCR 250,1/6 sec,f/7.1,ISO 200,29 frames stacked with Helicon focus.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Gérard,

An intriguing monster; and adorable.

I wondered if the image would be responsive to some tonal adjustments; so I opened the file in an image-editing program; adjusted the levels and colour balance and then also found it necessary to lower the highlights slightly; this had the effect of further revealing the detail originally captured in your photograph.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Thanks Augusthouse,I would apreciate that you post the image resulting of your ajustments,It would help me a lot because I am not very good in this kind of operations an then I could learn some.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Thanks a lot,It looks "more alive" this way!

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Gérard,

Those adjustments were applied rather quickly. ( I am still learning about these things myself).

Looking at the image again, I can see that the highlights (bright parts) could be reduced further in image-editing software and if necessary, balanced with the shadows. The highlights and shadows work as a team.

If the highlights are too bright (255) and you were intending to print this image, then the printer would not lay down any ink in the those areas. I aim for 230-240.

In Photoshop, for example; if you select the eyedropper tool and place it over the bright areas, the 'info' panel will tell you the brightness value of those pixels. Black is 0 and white is 255.

The other adjustments were made to the levels and color balance via 'adjustment layers'. By using 'adjustments layers' you can re-adjust afterward and also target specific areas of an image using 'clipping layers' and/or masks, etc, depending upon image requirements, personal preference and style.

Someone else could probably explain this much better; but I hope this information helps.

* Later note: after looking at the original image again; initially correcting the White Balance provides an excellent starting point for image correction/adjustment and enhancement.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic