Myxo's in the Field of View

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Myxo's in the Field of View

Post by Ken Ramos »

We may be wearing your patience thin but for those of you who have never bothered to take a close look at myxo's these two images of, once again Hemitrichia calyculata, may be of interest. Although this species is quite commonly found in my area of Western North Carolina, it is not the most prolific, the species that is most prolific being Stemonitis axifera. However, the first image is at 10X, what you would normally see using a 10X loupe magnifier in the field, the next one is of much greater magnification and both were shot through the Meiji EMZ-13TR stereomicroscope. :D

The bright orange or redish orange body shown is the peridium which covers the fine mesh network called the capillitium which contains or holds the spore mass, the stem or stalk is also sometimes refered to as the "stipe." The myxos shown as a whole are known as fruiting bodies. Approximate size of these specimens are around 2 to 2.5 mm in height. If you will look at my post in Myxomycetes III, you will see what the fruiting bodies look like once they are "ripened" and have dispersed their spores to begin the cycle of life all over again...beginning with the lowely amoeba. :D

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Beautiful Ken!
How long after removal from the field were these image taken?
I have got to get the old sterio scope I've recently aquired to work on these subjects.
Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Walt asked:
How long after removal from the field were these image taken?
Less than two hours from the time of collection Walt. They were placed in plastic petri dishes while in the field and then transported back to my home lab within the previously stated time period. They kept like this for a couple of days by adding a drop or two, no more than, of distilled water to the decaying wood substrate. Thanks Walt :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Great shots ken, very beautiful. It almost looks like the Stipe (in picture 2) is composed of capillitum also :-k
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

These are interesting objects, would ove to find some in the field!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug replied:
Great shots ken, very beautiful. It almost looks like the Stipe (in picture 2) is composed of capillitum also
There could possibly be some capillitial elements in there Doug, I have always thought from studying the last image, that the stalk, while young so to speak, may contain some of the protoplasmic material from the plasmodium or maybe even some nuclear material since the plasmodium is multinucleate. Prof. Stephenson, in his book, says that they may be hollow or filled with one of several types of material, such as spore like structures or ganular debris.

The last image, look closely, depicts some strands of material extending through the stipe or stalk, into where the capillitium resides, inside the fruiting body or sporangia or the strands could make up the peridium which is the red or reddish orange envelope covering the capillitium. Which ever the case, the structure of the stipe or stalk makes for some interesting study as to just what is going on in there. The more I study it though, it just could be the bright colored reflection of the peridium illuminating the translucent stalk itself, due to the microscopes illumination of the peridium, as confusing as that may sound. :-k Illumination used in making these photographs was a duel pipe fiber optic halogen type source, as evidenced by the two bright white spots on the peridium. :D

Maybe what I should do is close these books, turn of the computer, get my Sage 2wt. fly rod and a box of size 18 Elk Hair Caddis and go cast some tight loops to present them to some clear water brookies....yeah that's it! :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Almost sounds like a disection is in order. Would be nice to have some cut in half and examined :wink: Did I mention that I ordered the book Walt sugested ( I can`t wait) \:D/
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug replied:
Did I mention that I ordered the book Walt sugested ( I can`t wait)
Indeed you did Doug, I have all but worn my copy out. :lol: The good professor did an excellent job on his book. It is a great reference source and to my knowledge the best there is at present. Another good pictorial source is the Myxomycete Galleries. I do not have the url handy at the moment but you can search the name and easily find it. I would suggest that you do an put it on a CD or save it to file on an external HD for reference. I have found it also to be quite useful for visual ID's. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic