Myxomycete capillitium and spores

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Myxomycete capillitium and spores

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

As promised sometime back an image of one of the many forms that the capillitium take from a not yet identified specimen.

Nikon S type microscope
brightfield
40X Apo
Canon 10D
Some Photoshop enhancements

A high magnification view of the similar hairy material seen exposed from the sporagia in Ken's recent posting. (Note: not from Kens specimen) This rope like appearance takes on many differant shapes depending on species.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Could be the capillitium of Trichia varia, spores look similar. :-k We really need to see the tips of the capillitial elements, are they short or elongated? That would give us an idea as to whether they may be T decipiens or T. favoginea, which are two more possiblities. An excellent photograph for ID purposes though Walt, very nice work your doing here. Another beautiful reference photograph for our files. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I have a question....are the spores produced along these rope-like structures (capillitial elements) in the fruiting head or do they travel up into the fruiting bodies from the main body of the slime mold?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Boy thats a good question Doug, I have often wondered myself how the moist mass seen in the fruiting stage of the sporangium transforms itself into the dried compact mass of spores and capillitium. My first quess is that its all there once the fuiting body is finished forming. But your questioned has openned a challenge to all of us microscopists to take a microtome cross section of the stalk to see if channels exist as in the stems or branches of the vascular plant world.

And Ken here is your requested capillitium end shot.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Ah..Ha!! So it is a short tipped capillitial element, thanks Walt :o . Great, I think? :smt017 That means it could be Trichia favoginea, the spore looks to be the same as what T. favoginea produces too. :-k Gee... ain't this fun guys, no not fungi but fun...oh forget it :?: :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic