Myxomycetes III...

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Myxomycetes III...

Post by Ken Ramos »

the return of Hemitrichia calyculata. :shock: (I think :roll: )

Sony DSC-W5
1/5 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100 EV +0.3
Meiji EMZ-13TR
Micro Lite FV1000 Ring Illuminator

Hemitrichia calyculata
Sony DSC-W5
1/3 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100 EV +0.3
Meiji EMZ-13TR
Micro Lite F1000V Ring Illuminator

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Where did you find these Ken :shock: They are beautiful. very nice pictures. Is that what pops out of the round fruiting bodies (it just looks like it "popped") Nice find :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Thomas Ashcraft

Post by Thomas Ashcraft »

Interesting series of photos you've been posting Ken. I'm not very tuned into to the realms of nature you are investigating and I appreciate getting the education.

Tom

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug replied:
Where did you find these Ken They are beautiful. very nice pictures. Is that what pops out of the round fruiting bodies (it just looks like it "popped") Nice find
This is one of the few species that I have collected and kept back in a small cardboard box. As you can see the colorful peridium has long since split apart and only the remnants remain at the base of the mesh network, which is the capillitium that holds the spore mass. Walt has posted an excellent image of that already showing the spores. I suppose you could say that the capillitium does pop out to an extent. Thanks Doug. :D

Thomas Ashcraft commented:
Interesting series of photos you've been posting Ken. I'm not very tuned into to the realms of nature you are investigating and I appreciate getting the education
Glad that you find this interesting Thomas, myxomycetes are indeed a mysterious form of life and being quite small they are most always overlooked by even the most observant individuals involved in nature study. I had often heard about slime molds and that they lived on the forest floor but never gave them much thought until one day I really decided to find out what these creatures were all about. From that time forward it has been a never ending adventure and a quest to find, study, and research them. They are quite marvelous in their life cycle. Thanks Thomas. :D

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Very nice images Ken. I rarely shoot them outside of their enviornment but you got a nice background for your first shot. Your second shot is amazing for the amount of depth of focus you are able to get at f/2.8. I am limited at the present time to f/8 and always want more depth even at that ratio.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Walt. The Sony DSC-W5 always selects f/2.8 through the Meiji due to insufficent lighting I suppose. I really need to order the slave flash unit for that little camera :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Great images, they remind me of certain fungi, but on a much smaller scale!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Ken Ramos wrote:Thanks Walt. The Sony DSC-W5 always selects f/2.8 through the Meiji due to insufficent lighting I suppose. I really need to order the slave flash unit for that little camera :D
Hi Ken. The reason I get such good DOF is because of the 150W halogen that I use.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

crocoite wrote: Hi Ken. The reason I get such good DOF is because of the 150W halogen that I use.
Wow i bet that gets things hot!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Cyclops wrote:Wow i bet that gets things hot!
Actually no, Cyclops. The light is transmitted via two goose necks so temperature is no problem...

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh is that a fibre optic set up then?

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Steve replied:
The reason I get such good DOF is because of the 150W halogen that I use.
I have a number of light sources. I too have a 150W fiber optic illuminator but oftentimes I opt for the Micro Lite FV1000 fluorescent ring. Fluoresecent light is fuzzy but it does appear, colorwise, more like daylight and if the objects have a shine to them, fluorescent light doesn't scatter as bad but you don't have that intensity and sometimes contrast of the fiber optic halogen. Thanks Steve. :)

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Cyclops commented:
they remind me of certain fungi, but on a much smaller scale!
Well they are a slime mold and molds in general are considered fungi I suppose. Still myxomycetes are mystery, the fruiting bodies do not resemble any molds that I have seen in relation to fungi nor does the plasmodium resemble such, hence slime molds I suppose. I really find them a mystery because of the fact they begin their tiny little lives as amoebas and then change into something totally different, apart from the animal kingdom. Presently they are grouped with the Kingdom Protista which includes the unicellular plants and animals. Of course all that can or could be debated but I am in no position to do so. I suppose that is best left to the more learned gentlemen in the field taxonomy. Thanks Cyclops. :)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh thats interesting.Someone else said theyre not allied to fungi, yet it seems logical to me that they should be.

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Ken Ramos wrote:myxomycetes are indeed a mysterious form of life
Not the only one by the looks of this --> http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/4229.html
:roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic