Crystal photo

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jbailey

Crystal photo

Post by Jbailey »

This is a scan of a photo I took of a home-grown crystal of Rochelle Salt.
I grew this 3cm tall crystal as part of a couple of articles I wrote for "Science Probe Magazine." Unfortunately, the magazine is no longer in publication and there are no others I know of specializing in amateur science .
Lighting is from a single overhead spotlight.

Jim

elf

Post by elf »

Isn't that borderline too big for this forum :lol:

How would it look using a lighting technique like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8969481@N04/2262226050/

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Looks beautiful, Jim, as if the crystal was suspended in mid-air. Was that done with photoediting software, or is it actually standing on some red cloth or something?

--Betty

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Elf:
Thanks for the inputs. This crystal is considerably smaller than many of the fungi I photograph and post. The only subject size restriction I have read is one specifying inches or less. Lighting from the front would produce too much frontal glare on this clear and colorless crystal.

Planapo:
Thanks for the comments. The crystal is sitting on a swatch of red cloth. As for Photoshop work, only minor enhances and "saving for web" were used.

The transparency was taken in 1992.

Jim

elf

Post by elf »

Jbailey wrote:Elf:
Thanks for the inputs. This crystal is considerably smaller than many of the fungi I photograph and post. The only subject size restriction I have read is one specifying inches or less.
Jim
Sorry, I was trying to imply that it was an impressively large crystal, not that it was really too large for the forum :)

Do you still have the crystal?

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Hi, Elf:

No problem! :wink: This forum is for both praise and critique. At your latest query I looked among the goodies lying in my home-grown crystal collection and actually found the subject crystal. It's still in good condition after more than 25 years! The red cloth is, of course, lost.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic