Cumbungi - No Bull...

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crocoite

Cumbungi - No Bull...

Post by crocoite »

We have a creek at the side of our property and it gets pretty fouled up with bullrushes (scientific name cumbungi). There are three species in Tasmania and it's almost impossible to tell them apart. Two species are endemic and one introduced. All three can cause problems with water flow.

These shots were taken on Sunday afternoon. The first has really nice reflections, the second more abstract after I chucked a rock in the water. :)
Last edited by crocoite on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salden

Post by salden »

Nice blue. I like the ripples, even if they were "man made" :lol:
Sue Alden

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

salden wrote:Nice blue. I like the ripples, even if they were "man made" :lol:
Thanks Sue. We have wonderful skies here sometimes...

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very nice reflections Steve. They almost look like our Cattail plants Typha gracilis. They grow in areas of very soggy soil around ponds and swampy areas. It looks like your cumbungi can grow in a little deeper water than the cattails. Both plants have eatable parts and were used by indigenous people on both our continents. I found this little link you might like. http://home.vtown.com.au/~dbellamy/native/cumbungi.html
Lifebuoys, the Titanic and one hell of a weed problem
The reason for the importation of the weed Typha latifolia into Tasmania, relates to the concern by the general populous that boating and swimming could be made safer by supplying ample lifebuoys etc in boats and at swimming venues. This concern was exacerbated by the news of the huge numbers of drowning, associated with the sinking of the Titanic.

The light fluffy "kapok" like seed heads of the cumbungi was ideal for compressing into floats and other buoyancy devices such as lifebuoys. To ensure ample raw material the weed species of cumbungi was introduced from Europe and that initiated the weed problem of today.
"It seems like nature is balanced until we get into the equation"
"Thank you for making me look up info on something I would have never known about" :smt045
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic