By the tilt of the cap...

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Gary W Brown

By the tilt of the cap...

Post by Gary W Brown »

By the tilt of the cap you can tell this is one fungi... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... :roll:
A pixel is worth a thousand words but it takes a thousand words to explain a pixel.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I have been following the discussions on these things in the forums, they are about as complicated as the little wasps that I have become fascinated with here of late. Good shot though Gary :D , though the cap is a little blown at the top. If your are using Photoshop there is an adjustment to darken the highlights a bit, you will find it under "Enhancments/Contrast and Brightness." As for what kind of mushroom it is I haven't the foggiest! :-k

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

It's probably an Agaricus.

I am seeing blue sections of grass stems, especially in the bottom and mid right of the image. Am I alone in this?

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Harold Gough wrote:I am seeing blue sections of grass stems, especially in the bottom and mid right of the image. Am I alone in this?
Nope, me too. Odd effect. Wonder what's going on?

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I can only suggest that it could be the equivalent of damaged emulsion layers in film.

Harold

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Could it be chromatic aberration in the lens from light reflected off the grass stems concerned? Particularly if these individual stems were wet and acting like a mirror.

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/chromatic.html

Digital sensors show up any chromatic aberration in photographic lenses more than film used to.

DaveW

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. Ken, my PS elements 2 did not seem to have the adjustments that you recommended so I downnloaded a trial version of elements 6 and tried your suggestions (result of one set of changes is posted below). Harold, Rik, and Dave, I went back to the scene and looked for blue stems and there were none. It was an afternoon around 5:00 pm when I took the original digital photo (hence the overexposure on the mushroom cap) and there was no surface moisture on the grass. My camera is a Sony a100 and my lens is a Tamron 90mm 1:2.8 macro. Any additional insights are welcomed. Thanks again. Gary
A pixel is worth a thousand words but it takes a thousand words to explain a pixel.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Was there perhaps something intense blue near the scene, that could have been reflected by a few blades of grass that happened to be sitting at the correct angle? I notice that the extreme right of the lower portion of the mushroom stalk has a similar blue cast to it. There are also a couple of patches of similar blue in the far right background.

Regarding the rework, I don't think these modifications are an improvement. A bunch of intense noise has gotten added, not only to the background but also on the mushroom gills on the right side. And the top surface of the mushroom has gone from being very light with a bluish tinge, to more of a slate gray that I'll bet looks a lot different from the real mushroom. I'm quite happy with the first picture. A bit less exposure at the time would have been good, to avoid blowing out any of the cap. But once the overexposure has happened, there's really no good way to fix it in post-processing.

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I'm not sure but I think the blue is minimal in the plane of best focus.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic