No life in a drop of water!

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

No life in a drop of water!

Post by Cyclops »

Some water has collected in a large tub outside and it has mosquito larvae in it,so i thought I'd have a dip and find some nice algae or rotifers.
But there was absolutely nothing moving in my sample, and precious little organic matter(I guses I should have scraped the bottom where some dried grass has fallen in)

All i could find that looked remotely organic was this collection of what looks like protoplasm. I was hoiping I'd found an amoeba but it never moved!

I shifted the camera slightly to partially obscure the image as this showed some off acxis detail-gave a slightly 3D look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/D ... lasm02.jpg
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Try some scrapings from the sides and also some sediment or scrapings from the bottom. Another good source of animalcules in the absence of a pond is a bird-bath. Usually lots of bdelloid rotifers, especially Philodina

Also, just soak some organic matter, such as dead leaves, a couple of grains of rice, some moss etc. in a little water for a few days - you should get lots of creatures. It would be best to use rainwater, such as some from your disappointing sample.

You could try looking at the mosquito larvae - if they wriggle too much, give them a drop of sore throat anaesthetic spray - a little lidocaine paralyses them a treat.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I could do with some Lidocaine for my sore throat!

Philodina! I remember drawing that thru my scope years ago!

Hey I wonder what I'm likely to find in my compost bin?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I agree with Graham. About a pint of water from the tub in a glass jar and then add some dried crushed leaves to it. Shouldn't be more than a couple of days and you should have a jar full of beasties. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic