Green Hydra

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Green Hydra

Post by gpmatthews »

Microscope: Zeiss Standard GFL
Objective: Zeiss 10/0.22 plan achro
Ocular: Olympus P15
Brightfield/blue filter
Camera: Canon Powershot S50
Sample from Warnham Millpond 08-Oct-2006

This first image shows as much of a small green hydra as I could get in one shot.

Microscope: Zeiss Standard GFL
Objective: Leitz 40/0.7 NPL Fluotar ICT
Ocular: Olympus P15
Substage: Leitz ICT
DIC
Camera: Canon Powershot S50
ISO200, F4.9, 1/8 sec
Sample from Warnham Millpond 08-Oct-2006

This second image is of the tip of a hydra tentacle. The ovoid structures with the teardrop centres are cnidoblasts. Each contains a nematocyst. The cnidoblast is touch sensitive and will discharge the nematocyst on contact. The nematocyst "dart" is poisonous and will paralyse prey. You can see some have been discharged by the hair-like features at right angles to the tentacle. The green colour is due to symbiotic algae. Some of these hydra had ingested small chyronomid midge larvae - you could see the heads and some body parts remaining within the hydra.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Nice shots! I thought the second image was a Water Bear at first. :wink:
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very nice hydra shots and the tip shot is very cool. I would hate to be a small creature in a pond with these things around :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Nice shot(s) there Graham, looks as though you captured some of the stinging cells quite nicely. I haven't seen a hydra in about two years now. I have got to go and collect some samples here soon, with the weather turning cool such as it is. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic