Upgrading my Camera

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Carl_Constantine

Upgrading my Camera

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Well after a couple years, it's time to upgrade my camera. I'm looking at the Canon 40D for the simple reason that I also do sport photography (photographing races and MMA Fights) as it has a higher resolution and faster burst mode (6.5 compared to my 2.5) and I'm missing shots because of it.

But then, there is Canon's brand new 50D sporting 15.1 MP, 6.3fps burst and some other impressive specs which is good for all the kinds of photography I do.

So, I'm in a conundrum, debating which one to buy. My lust is set on the 50D, but in reality the 40D will satisfy my requirements and will still probably last a while to boot.

Thoughts?
Carl B. Constantine

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

What are your finances like at the moment? There's always a large premium on 'the latest and greatest' - but if you can put up with a generation off the latest, then you can save a bundle. I'd imagine 40Ds are already heavily discounted, and if not they will be soon!

Don't actually tell me what your finances are like, I just mean that should be your deciding factor!!

Also bear in mind the images will be that much bigger with the 50D so you'll need to budget for a new hard drive sooner! :)

P_T

Post by P_T »

Follow your lust. :twisted: If you can afford it, get the 50D. Just get the camera body and pass on the 18-200mm kit lens. That should shave off a few dollars enough to get a new 500GB HDD. :D

5MP is quite a big difference when your shot doesn't turn up to be quite as sharp as you'd like it to be. You'll get more leniency when you sample down your image.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Carl,

Of course, right now all we know about the 50D is what we read on paper. But I would not disregard the "AF Microadjustment" feature. (Especially if you do sports where it is likely you will be working at maximum or large apertures). Also, the new Digic IV processor is much faster which may (we'll have to see) result in faster auto-focus performance.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Yeah, that's why I'm having such a hard time deciding on which one to get really. Budget says 40D, lust says 50D *sigh* :-)
Carl B. Constantine

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic