Vorticella

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Vorticella

Post by gpmatthews »

Microscope: Zeiss Standard GFL
Objective: Leitz 40/0.7 NPL Fluotar ICT
Ocular: Olympus P15
Substage: Leitz ICT
DIC
Sample from Warnham Millpond 08-Oct-2006
Camera: Canon Powershot S50
ISO200, F5.0, Flash

This is a free-swimming individual, but as it did not appear to have basal cilia, I do not think it was a telotroch. The shape was exactly similar to the adult stalked form.

This individual spent a lot of time facing upwards and moving around in circles and this gave me an opportunity to try and get some plan view shots showing the cilia.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A fantastic photograph Graham. It appears, beside the rather large vacuole on the right, I am assuming, that there is a nucleus just to the left of it. Could that be so? Excellent work :D

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Excellent work!!

There are a couple of non sessile peritrichs, so I think you're right there.

Ken; I think I can spot at least three macronuclei ( I hope this is good English :roll:)

Bernhard

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Your english is fine Bernhard. I was thinking the same thing about the nuclei. Everytime I see a vorticella the nucleus is the first thing I look for, why I don't know. I suppose that it is just that it stands out so well in the lorica with its "C" shape and appears sky blue at low magnifications. I have always wondered how it would look from various angles and so that is probably why it is the first thing I look for.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Sorry Ken,

you're right. I forgot that almost all peritrichs feature c-shaped or sausagelike macronuclei. So the big vacuole is the contractile one and the others (that I took for ma) are food vacuoles.

Bernhard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic