Campanella umbellaria, telotroch, cila pattern

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Campanella umbellaria, telotroch, cila pattern

Post by Charles Krebs »

Here we have a large peritrich ciliate, Campanella umbellaria (I think :wink: ).

This one is now a telotroch, having grown the rear ring of cilia, and detached itself from the stalk. The first image is a "side" view, and provides the overview. The other two are quite abstact... but for me very interesting.

In the second image the Campanella is positioned so that the front of the cell faces the cover slip. This view, when photographed with electronic flash, really provides a nice look at the rings of feeding cilia in action. I'm always fascinated by the beauty and flow of this motion.

In the third shot I have pulled the focus a little higher so that all that can be seen is the "tips" of some of the cilia. This is the image that really interests me. This is the first time I have seen a spiral pattern that, when you think about it, makes perfect sense! After all, the purpose of the cilia is not to make pretty patterns for photomicrographers, but to direct food to the mouth area where it is crammed into food vacuoles. This simply cannot be seen at all while viewing, since the motion is so extremely rapid that it is just a blur. It is only because of the "action- stopping" ability of the flash that it is seen here.

Canon 350D. Olympus 40X S Plan Apo. Olympus 1.67X NFK photo-eyepiece. DIC with electronic flash.

Last edited by Charles Krebs on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Campanella umbellaria, telotroch, cila pattern

Post by rjlittlefield »

Charles Krebs wrote:In the third shot I have pulled the focus a little higher so that all that can be seen is the "tips" of some of the cilia. This is the image that really interests me. This is the first time I have seen a spiral pattern that, when you think about it, makes perfect sense! After all, the purpose of the cilia is not to make pretty patterns for photomicrographers, but to direct food to the mouth area where it is crammed into food vacuoles. This simply cannot be seen while at all while viewing, since the motion is so extremely rapid that it is just a blur. It is only because of the "action- stopping" ability of the flash that it is seen here.
Beautiful! I love it when a photo shows something that not even the person who was there at the time could see.

--Rik

(PS. Thanks for the technical info. Very helpful!)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Excellent, both dreamlike and pin sharp!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Now these are nice, very nice. I always look for the nucleus the very first thing, in organisms like this. It appears as though it can just be made out on the left side of the lorica in the first image but I can't be sure. Um, um, um...some really nice shots Charlie. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Amazing pictures Charles...It is like looking down his throat. So, the rear ring of cilia is for locomotion? I can see Charles holding a small bit of food over this creature and now he is begging for more :mrgreen: Thanks for all the info also Charles.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

yeah, that's what I thought: how does he keep this critters in place. I think he pays his "models"a lot.

By the way, a telotroch is a swarmer: it is the one cell after cell division in peritrichs that doesn't remain at the stalk. So it loosens itself and swims around (and here the rear (aboral) ring comes into play) until settling down and forming a new stalk.

Bernhard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic