Hopper

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Hopper

Post by Ken Ramos »

Not quite what you were expecting though but it does hop. :lol:

And now for the weather. We just had one doozy of a thunderstorm. High winds, heavy seas, and trees down all over; pea to just bigger than marble sized hail, lightning and temporary power outages and I was almost sure a tornado was in there somewhere. Anyway, these toads or frogs were all over the place afterwards, as I took a walk around outside to survey the damage, nothing of any significance here though in my neighborhood. :wink:

P_T

Post by P_T »

Hmm... a bit hard to guess... Judging by the dry warty skin, I'd say it's a toad.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Ken, these guys didn't come down with the rain did they???

I'm having flashbacks to the movie Magnolia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_z0r2L0 ... re=related

Turn your speakers on!

Rent it, Buy It, Borrow it, Watch It!
(It's not all about frogs - it's about alot of things all interconnected)

"This is something that happens"

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

salden

Post by salden »

He is so cute Ken. Looks like he thinks he is hiding from you.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Usually when frogs fall from the sky due to sever weather, they are of a very small size or at least to my knowledge, having been picked up by a tornado, though that is not to say that larger frogs could not have been gathered up by the vortex also. I remember when I lived in Arkansas, a tornado, an F2, hit two chicken houses with about 1500 birds each. Must have rained chickens over at least two counties :lol: Of course I do not know that for certain but I bet it rained chickens somewhere. :wink:

That was an interesting link to the movie. I am assuming that this movie was made, based on actual events that occurred somewhere? Not that I would doubt if it didn't, except for the amount of frogs that fell from the sky, Hollywood/film makers, you know. :roll: Wonder where they got all those frogs to slaughter like that? Poor things!

I do not know if the frogs/toads that I found yesterday are a result of having been gathered by strong winds and then deposited in my area. They could have been ran out of hiding by the hail that fell or by the large amount of rain that fell so suddenly. Sure is odd though but there is probably a good and interesting explaination hidding somewhere.

Yes, it does appear as though it is hidding there Sue. All the others acted much the same way. Usually they try and hop away but these seemed stunned. I might add that there were not all that many but quite a number anyway.

Thanks everyone. :D

P_T

Post by P_T »

Ken Ramos wrote:Wonder where they got all those frogs to slaughter like that? Poor things!
Don't worry, most of those falling frogs were computer generated done by ILM with a few fake prosthetic ones for closeup shots done by Steve Johnson's XFX Inc.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Some further reading out of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raining_animals
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

P_T wrote:
Don't worry, most of those falling frogs were computer generated done by ILM with a few fake prosthetic ones for closeup shots done by Steve Johnson's XFX Inc.
I should have known. Many things go way over my head sometimes :lol:

Another interesting link there Craig. I will have to keep an eye out for the movie Magnolia. I just bought "Fly Boys" the other day and have yet to watch it. I love movies based on historical events. :wink:

salden

Post by salden »

Yea Ken, it is against the law to slaughter animals for film making purposes. PETA would be all over them.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sue wrote:
PETA would be all over them.
Heaven forbid that we disturb the folks at PETA. :roll: :lol: No, I would not agree with the inhumane treatment of animals either. :D

P_T

Post by P_T »

Ken Ramos wrote:I should have known. Many things go way over my head sometimes :lol:
Actually, if I wasn't such a visual effects buff, I wouldn't have known either.

PETA yes... while I agree with what they stand for, sometime I think they're a bit too extreme.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic